🔎 UNIDENTIFIED old button?

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
found this in a 1930s park near Los Angeles. about 1 inch dia.rang up with a 75 penny dime. it looks
Resized_20240115_145811.jpeg
Resized_20240115_145755.jpeg
like lead.but i dont think it is.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello 1637,

Closess I can think of is a:
Vintage Metal "Criss Cross" Button?

Button Criss Cross.jpg

Upvote 1

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 1

bottlecap4u

Jan 15, 2024
That's a nice old button. Congrats!! Someone will give you a date range based on that button back.
pictures a fuzzy. Like to take a closer clear look at the shank and front design, just taking a wild guess...resembles pewter concave in make-up and design.

Upvote 1

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_buttons_01       button dating.jpg
looks like sample E , cast white metal " pewter "it's convex not concave. the way the shank is made is one way these are dated.

Upvote 1

bottlecap4u

Jan 15, 2024
thanks, i could not think of that word, pewter , any guess on a date?
Shank somewhat resembles a drilled hole, (upper left in chart). Without seeing it clearly, difficult to confirm. If its pewter, soap and water, soft toothbrush, preserve with hairspray or water/glue mixture, (keeps it from flaking). Pewter is brittle, so be gentle. So, concave pewter button with a drilled hole shank (if it is) dates it in the 1700s. Best guess from my view. Could very well be wrong.
Dating Buttons by Shank Style and Material.jpg

looks like sample E , cast white metal " pewter "it's convex not concave. the way the shank is made is one way these are dated.
Concave for sure, convex the depression is on the button face, as others have said, identifying the shank should date it. Appears to have a solid base with broken hole at the top. Leary about the 1700 range given the location you found it. If it was me, I'd do a little checking on the location, was if found in fill dirt so it might have been brought there from an older location, LA was founded in late 1700s so possible a button like that might be there, what was there before the park as well. Cool find and happy sleuthing.

Upvote 1
OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
Shank somewhat resembles a drilled hole, (upper left in chart). Without seeing it clearly, difficult to confirm. If its pewter, soap and water, soft toothbrush, preserve with hairspray or water/glue mixture, (keeps it from flaking). Pewter is brittle, so be gentle. So, concave pewter button with a drilled hole shank (if it is) dates it in the 1700s. Best guess from my view. Could very well be wrong. View attachment 2126333

Concave for sure, convex the depression is on the button face, as others have said, identifying the shank should date it. Appears to have a solid base with broken hole at the top. Leary about the 1700 range given the location you found it. If it was me, I'd do a little checking on the location, was if found in fill dirt so it might have been brought there from an older location, LA was founded in late 1700s so possible a button like that might be there, what was there before the park as well. Cool find and happy sleuthing.
wow, thank you

Upvote 1

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shank somewhat resembles a drilled hole, (upper left in chart). Without seeing it clearly, difficult to confirm. If its pewter, soap and water, soft toothbrush, preserve with hairspray or water/glue mixture, (keeps it from flaking). Pewter is brittle, so be gentle. So, concave pewter button with a drilled hole shank (if it is) dates it in the 1700s. Best guess from my view. Could very well be wrong. View attachment 2126333

it's not concave.
th
it's convex

Upvote 1

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some tips I always need to remember is, clean the lens, don't get to close, and touch to center the camera on the object,

Those photos are much better actualy

Upvote 2

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Real nice after you cleaned it up! Looks bronze to me, I think you're right. For future reference, you can download a magnifying glass app on your phone for closer pictures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
Real nice after you cleaned it up! Looks bronze to me, I think you're right. For future reference, you can download a magnifying glass app on your phone for closer pictures.
any idea what the design is for ? or when it was from

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The design is simply for fashion , see the chart I provided above to come up with the time period.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread