🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Part of an Artillery Sighting System?

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure what this is. If you look closely you can see a reverse fraction scale from 1 down to 1/8. Some of it is missing so I'm not sure of the complete size. I found it at an 1870s military site. I'm wondering if it's part of an artillery aiming system. Likely something much simpler though. There's no writing on the back side.
20240115_115216.jpg

Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
There looks like increments of an inch stamped into it so I'm going to say it's a measuring device of some sort
Might have been the end of an old fashioned measuring stick...glad to get the ball rolling

Upvote 1

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea but you sure do find some interesting things out there :)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No idea but you sure do find some interesting things out there :)
Thanks. Yes, sometimes. I like finding these odd ball things, but don't like not figuring out what they are.

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Yes, sometimes. I like finding these odd ball things, but don't like not figuring out what they are.
I think perhaps out there you will get used to it LOL
]

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think perhaps out there you will get used to it LOL
]
No doubt. This isn't the first one I haven't identified. I expect it's not the last either. Ha.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mason Jarr said:
> @TheCannonballGuy Any idea?

No idea, except that I'm certain it is not part of any artillery-related device.

To me, the presence of the long slot, and its round-ended shape, are key ID-clues. Usually when I see a slot like that in a small metal object, the slot is there to hold a "traversing adjustment" lockdown screw or bolt... like Tony In SC is envisioning when he guessed the object is a miter gauge from an electric saw. Or, the slot's purpose is to reveal something that would otherwise be hidden under the object... such as a glass tube, like a thermometer. But for the moment, because I can't think of a definite ID, I'll go with the slot being for a traversing lockdown screw or bolt. (I used to know but now cannot remember the "engineering" term for that.)

Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mason Jarr said:
> @TheCannonballGuy Any idea?

No idea, except that I'm certain it is not part of any artillery-related device.

To me, the presence of the long slot, and its round-ended shape, are key ID-clues. Usually when I see a slot like that in a small metal object, the slot is there to hold a "traversing adjustment" lockdown screw or bolt... like Tony In SC is envisioning when he guessed the object is a miter gauge from an electric saw. Or, the slot's purpose is to reveal something that would otherwise be hidden under the object... such as a glass tube, like a thermometer. But for the moment, because I can't think of a definite ID, I'll go with the slot being for a traversing lockdown screw or bolt. (I used to know but now cannot remember the "engineering" term for that.)
Thanks for looking. I'll keep trying to see if I can find out what it is.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread