What's new

Old coin?

Aquila

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
801
Reaction score
185
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
Found this two years ago from old dump site where I was hunting fossils. I read today from web somebody had found old coins there and remebered I also found one that looks like quite old coin. What coin this is? Or is it at all? ???
:)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0405.webp
    IMG_0405.webp
    35 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0408.webp
    IMG_0408.webp
    83.2 KB · Views: 398

Attachments

  • francI.webp
    francI.webp
    29 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
humm stand corrected --that 4 lobed shape and cross does look correct * and the 3 fluer de lis is normally thought of as french * as well -- french it is looks like louis XI 1461 to 1483 sweet find

way to go folks.
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Tempted to go with IP and the French connection.
The cross within the quadrilobe are intriguing; like here:

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=782335&AucID=573&Lot=567

Sorry for earlier posting of wrong reference.


There are many that are close so the type of metal would help (copper, billon or?). I also think it's a small coin, smaller than the Royal posted in the link. How each looks is typical for the type, so just for that reason I am pretty sure it's not a match. (not that it was being suggested it was)
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for help. :-).It is small coin and I believe it is French oldie. I will hunt the place again when snow has melted away and land is no more frozen. It will be april or may then.
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Charles VIII (1483-1498) also minted a 'cross and quadrilobe' coin, like the one shown on this page:
http://home.eckerd.edu/~oberhot/printparis-coins.htm


Close, but I am pretty sure that's not it because I have owned many of both it and the one in question.

I think it's more along the lines of this for size and shape. As I said there are many, just a matter of probably seeing the right one.

Louis XII Terlina


PS... I have 6 auction catelogs from France and could post ones that are close all day long. I just haven't seen what I think is a perfect match. Wow... solved to me... or my head will start to hurt.
 

Attachments

  • louis-xii-terlina-milan-zA00300.webp
    louis-xii-terlina-milan-zA00300.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom