What's new

Old coin?

Aquila

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
801
Reaction score
185
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
Found this two years ago from old dump site where I was hunting fossils. I read today from web somebody had found old coins there and remebered I also found one that looks like quite old coin. What coin this is? Or is it at all? ???
:)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0405.webp
    IMG_0405.webp
    35 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0408.webp
    IMG_0408.webp
    83.2 KB · Views: 398
Quite possible , it looks like an old hammered coin.In pic #1 i can see an R and an E as in REX which appears on British hammereds , there does seem to be a legend around the piece.
 
Upvote 0
Clearly a hammered coin, maybe bronze (or copper-alloy). Not British. Looks 1600s & might have a French connection.

I will watch for an ID, as I can't add anymore :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
It's French, 1500s I believe, and possibly a denier. I'll be able to say a little later. (Once I finish my coffee) :-X
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
It's French, 1500s I believe, and possibly a denier. I'll be able to say a little later. (Once I finish my coffee) :-X
I nearly added late 1500s but was just guesses based on it's look, plus I have little interest in foriegn stuff.
 
Upvote 0
the "fluer de lis" symbol is generally thought of as french * but can be used on spanish stuff as well after 1701 (when the french royal "house of bourbon" took over the spanish crown) --- I would say that the coin at first look appears to be a very old copper or bronze type french or spanish coin most likely . (to me at least)
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
It's French, 1500s I believe, and possibly a denier. I'll be able to say a little later. (Once I finish my coffee) :-X
I nearly added late 1500s but was just guesses based on it look.


Most French coins into the 1600s aren't that irregular shaped. Even Louis XI coins are fairly close so it could even be 15th century.
 
Upvote 0
ah but the "three fluer de lis" within a circle are almost without a doubt linked to the french or at the very least the house of bourbon -- so a spanish connection can not be rulled out -- the spanish ruled and traded the dutch areas for quite some time
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
It's French, 1500s I believe, and possibly a denier. I'll be able to say a little later. (Once I finish my coffee) :-X
I nearly added late 1500s but was just guesses based on it look.


Most French coins into the 1600s aren't that irregular shaped. Even Louis XI coins are fairly close so it could even be 15th century.

Who cares it French :wink: :D
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
It's French, 1500s I believe, and possibly a denier. I'll be able to say a little later. (Once I finish my coffee) :-X
I nearly added late 1500s but was just guesses based on it look.


Most French coins into the 1600s aren't that irregular shaped. Even Louis XI coins are fairly close so it could even be 15th century.

Who cares it French :wink: :D


Yeah... Ivan it's all yours! ;D
 
Upvote 0
Hey... wait a sec... some of my best coins finds are French!
 
Upvote 0
then your can clearly see the "3 fluer de lis" in a circle ? Oui
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
then your can clearly see the "3 fluer de lis" in a circle ? Oui


Of course. I've owned several thousands of dollars worth of early French coins.
 
Upvote 0
--early french? or do you think later spanish (bourbon era) due to irregular cob type shape ?
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
--early french? or do you think later spanish (bourbon era) due to irregular cob type shape ?


I seen a close match from Louis XI with the difference being it had just two lys. I'm not really sure why that is, because earlier coins can have three, and later ones too. I know whatever it is it's common, because I've had many. All were with French coins, so it had heavy circulation in France, and that's where I see them for sale. I have never seen them listed as Spanish, but like so many other early coins from that part of the world you can often make connections. There's more to it then i have ever wanted to put in the time to understand... but at some point I probably will. My main interest isn't until the Colonial era and even that I'm only starting to get a handle on.
 
Upvote 0
the french / spanish cross connection was in the colonial era 1701 when the french king (of the house of bourbon ) took over the vacant "spanish crown" by being "related" by blood line --in effect trying to be two kings at once --spain and france * it touch off a international war that lasted about 13 years -- the war of spanish seccession

it is intertwined with the history of the 1715 treasure fleet .

the french used 3 fluer de lis to make it differant from the english claimers to the french crown (and thus the "right" rule over french (normandy) areas) who often used 1 fluer de lis as a "royal symbol"
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
the french / spanish cross connection was in the colonial era 1701 when the french king took over the vacant "spanish crown" --in effect trying to be two kings at once --spain and france * it touch off a international war that lasted about 13 years -- the war of spanish seccession


So having said that you think this coin post dates the 17th century?
 
Upvote 0
well the rough cob type shape is more like the crude made spanish coinage of that early 1700 time frame -- but it might be a even earlier french coin that was also crude made (cobbish looking) -- I do know that the spanish ruled parts of the dutch areas long ago
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
well the rough cob type shape is more like the crude made spanish coinage of that early 1700 time frame -- but it might be a even earlier french coin that was also crude made (cobbish looking) -- I do know that the spanish ruled parts of the dutch areas long ago


There's plenty of early French ones that were made like that too.... over hundreds of years.
 
Upvote 0
with the 3 fluer de lis with the circle - and the 4 lobed design in the other side used on spanish coinage --for "castile and leon" --castle and lion * and with known spanish trade in the area around then -- I'm going with after 1701 spanish cob type coinage
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom