Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old Copper's How Do YOU Care For Them?

So I found a early Drape Bust today I didn't know what it was just that it was early a King George or LC copper coin. I got it out of the ground and and stuck it in a dirt ball to try and get a date and better details off it later. I never tried this before but was told it works good. It seems as soon as the air hits the coin it starts to lose its features. Other folks are know to carry a bottle with a mixture of soapy water to keep them in till they get home. I normally will just keep them in a separate pocket wrapped in clothe so not to be rubbed or cause flaking. I've been trying to photo these early copper coins as soon as I recover them to get their best details. This is a new spot I discovered just yesterday and spent about a half hour each day so Im hopeful of some very nice recovers. I worked the T2se in disc. @ 40 sens. @ 70 with 3 tones. VDI reading 89 this LC hit hard at nearly a good 12 inches. The Dirt Ball method I really can't say worked to good but it was my first attempt. The better the condition of your copper coin the better results you'll have. DUH... Anyway Please let me know what works best for you. Thanks HH Dutch.

Attachments

• image-1868674821.jpg
    image-1868674821.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 136
  • image-3037386240.jpg
    image-3037386240.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 134
  • image-350024405.jpg
    image-350024405.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1426769168.jpg
    image-1426769168.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2335652965.jpg
    image-2335652965.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2751707667.jpg
    image-2751707667.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 131
  • image-201017252.jpg
    image-201017252.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 146
  • image-2221977438.jpg
    image-2221977438.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutchtoga

dutchtoga

Jun 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That second to last photo doesn't belong to this thread.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery. I'm going out in AM for the first time with my T-2. Hope I have the same luck. To answer the Q, the coin will lose as much as the ground has done damage to it. There is really no stopping that. I use heated peroxide and then a coating of olive oil or vaseline after I'm done. Nice find! Hogge

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Draped Bust! Looks like a sweet site. I use room temp. peroxide and then let them air dry. If they look too dry, I may use olive oil to keep the patina from flaking.

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry around a jar of oil (doesn't really matter what type - just to keep the air off of things....not so much for soaking purposes) - I was doing the dirt clump ...wrap it in a tissue or something- figured that was a pain .....it just amazes me how many people carefully extract something out of the ground without scratching it...then just let it rattle around in the pouch with everything........

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right Pete, I spend hours looking for beautiful relics and when I do find them I throw them in my pouch, lol. At least I separate the coins.. I throw those in my back pocket. :)

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry around a jar of oil (doesn't really matter what type - just to keep the air off of things....not so much for soaking purposes) - I was doing the dirt clump ...wrap it in a tissue or something- figured that was a pain .....it just amazes me how many people carefully extract something out of the ground without scratching it...then just let it rattle around in the pouch with everything........
Only problem with coating it with oil right away is that any other treatment will not work on it after that. The oils make a coating that will not let a peroxide solution work. Plus the fact that all the dirt and crud is now "oiled" to the coin.

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!! Found a colonial coin a couple years back . Pulled it out of the ground and put it in my pocket . Then I ran all the way home , soft wash with soap and toothbrush. Never to touch again . AVATAR is prime example=ED

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm by no means an expert on cleaning old coppers, but I can tell you I've tried just about every method imaginable. Through all those experiences I think the best thing you can do is to NOT put water on it. After rinsing with water it seems like the coin will quickly dry out and start to oxidize. And to keep it from drying out in your pouch after you've found it I've started using my friend Dan's idea of putting the coin in a chewing tobacco tin with dirt from where the coin was recovered. That will keep it "fresh" until you get home. Then I like to dry clean using a toothbrush, toothpick, and sometimes a small brass brush for stubborn crud. I tried the warm peroxide method a number of times, but it just didn't work well for me. After dry cleaning I'll put blue ribbon coin cleaner on it (a product no longer available), or sometimes mineral oil or Renassiance wax. I don't use olive oil as it darkens the coin way too much and takes way to long if used as a cleaner. I guess I'm rambling here, but you get the idea. You might want to practice with some old coins that don't have any value until you feel comfortable with your method, whatever that turns out to be. Good luck and HH ..... Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread