20210201_155101.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 53

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I found a little round one a few years ago that is marked on back 14k G P and then I can't remember what else it said but the what else referred to the gold plating being heavier in some places (the front) more than other places (the back). The front looks great but the back has greenish tint from copper (or brass, whatever the base metal is) showing through.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found countless religious medallions... never one in gold... sterling yes.

Not saying they don't make them... just never see them... in fact 99% of em are made from weird metals.

Yours is obviously plated.

Upvote 0

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin Keeper I blew up the front image and I believe I see a date on it and it looks like 1830. It's a bit muddled, but you should look closer at the front bottom to see if you can make it out for sure.

Upvote 0

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks gold plated to me but I don't think you'll ever know the year.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note that your medallion does have a date of ‘1830’ at the bottom following the “Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee” inscription but that’s not the date the medallion was made. It’s an acknowledgement of the Marian apparitions experienced by the French nun Catherine Labouré (later canonized as Saint Catherine Labouré) on 18 July and 27 November of 1830 in Paris.

These events soon spawned a number of Catholic devotional medallions generally known as “Miraculous Medals”, for which an ‘official’ design was approved in 1836. It’s also copyrighted, so those producing such medals for sale at places other than the Chapel of Our Lady of the Miraculous in Paris have often used their own designs for that reason. They’re still made today, so the only clue to the date for yours is what looks a combination of copper overlaid with gold foil which is not a typically modern construction.

Upvote 0

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Note that your medallion does have a date of ‘1830’ at the bottom following the “Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee” inscription but that’s not the date the medallion was made. It’s an acknowledgement of the Marian apparitions experienced by the French nun Catherine Labouré (later canonized as Saint Catherine Labouré) on 18 July and 27 November of 1830 in Paris.

These events soon spawned a number of Catholic devotional medallions generally known as “Miraculous Medals”, for which an ‘official’ design was approved in 1836. It’s also copyrighted, so those producing such medals for sale at places other than the Chapel of Our Lady of the Miraculous in Paris have often used their own designs for that reason. They’re still made today, so the only clue to the date for yours is what looks a combination of copper overlaid with gold foil which is not a typically modern construction.

I stand corrected as I was unaware of the date requirement on that medallion. I do agree with Red Coat that the method used is a rough clue to the age, but an exact date may not be possible.

Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice medal. The one I found was aluminum I think. Very lightweight and corroded. Yours looks much more substantial. Any history(years) of the site you found it?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected as I was unaware of the date requirement on that medallion.

Just to clarify. This is the 'official' Miraculous Medal, for which the design was approved in 1836. Note that it has the 1830 date at the bottom and the "Mary, conceived without sin..." inscription is in French. Other medals not using that copyrighted design commemorating Catherine's apparitions usually also carry that date but not as a 'requirement' and there are dozens of variants that are loosely defined as 'Miraculous Medals'... both with and without suspension loops and in all kinds of shapes including crosses.

Miraculous Medal.jpg

Since it's not to the official design it won't have been sold from the Paris shrine and in any case the inscription is in English. Catholic establishments everywhere sell them for fund-raising purposes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I've found many of these in sterling, aluminum and gold plated. I remember the first one I found with that 1830 date. It was back in 1985. Still a pretty cool find and sooner or later you'll get one made form PM.

Upvote 0

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
At an auction, I picked up a box with over 200 various Catholic medallions hoping to find some sterling or gold. Nope. All sorts of metals, but nothing precious.

20201214_221558-scaled.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread