Old Double Barrell Shotgun - No Clue?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Here isa old black powder shotgun that someone told me wasn't worth that much and was givin to me. I was told that it was in working condition but to be safe I should only use it as a wall hanger. I cannot find a brand name or where it was mfg. Here are a ton of pics with hopes that you might be able to ID it. I had to take it apart to find markings on barrells. Maker ? Age? Value?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 3,034
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 4,370
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 10,885
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 2,315
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,205
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 2,203
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,624
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 2,523
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,132
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,189
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,142
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,097

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The barrels look to be English made. Could be the whole thing is English or English barrels used by a US gun maker. If I had to guess I would say $250-300 range. Who ever made it was a quality craftsman.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
undertaker,

Go to gunbroker.com .......then forum.....then ask the experts. They are normally very helpful, and you have some good pics so that will sure help.

BW

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belgian "trade" gun probably. It looks like the ELG oval with a star dates it to before 1893. There should be an inspector's stamp somewhere on it (usually just a single letter with a star over it) that will let you know which inspector was in charge of the proof-house when this gun passed proof, and that will usually let you know with 30 years or so of when it was actually made. If this gun was made with a rifled barrel, one of the proofmarks should be a capital "R" under a star, for "rayee" (rifled). you may want to ask some of the folks over at this forum-http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php?

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Not a cheap gun. Look at the quality of the wood.

bildon

Sep 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this same secton scroll down two double barrel gun with hammers then read it all see if the picture looks like yours those are worth two to three hundred dollars each bildon

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you just love it when people tell you that it's not worth much,a couple of weeks ago on Antiques Roadshow on PBS,this lady had an old Indian blanket that she had in the family for over a 100 years,everybody told her that it wasn't worth anything,turns out to be worth 100k-500k at auction.Not bad huh!
I would either take it to a good gun shop and or get it appraised by a dealer.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
It would be pretty valuable, if it turned out to be an old Parker. :thumbsup:

johnnywad

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2008
GrayCloud said:
It would be pretty valuable, if it turned out to be an old Parker. :thumbsup:
Do you notice any signs that it may have damascus barrels/This is when the barrel is constructed by wrapping separate pieces of metal around and around,much like taping a hockey stick. If it IS damascus barrels,DO NOT FIRE. Todays loads,and powders are considerably more powerful,making weak barrels like the ones of old,VERY dangerous. Good Luck! Lastly,look up Frontier Gun and Sport in Fonthill Ontario Canada. If you send the pics,either Frank,or Randy Ryan would be able to make a positive I.D.

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
This gun does not have a damascus barrel. I was told by other people that because of this guns very early age that it has to have a damascus barrel or its a reproduction. I double checked it and it is solid steel and not wire wound. I own three damascus wall hanger shotguns so I'am familar with them. I even got another gun collectors opinion and he said it's not damascus and no way is this gun a repro. Will I shoot it ? probably not.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,693

johnnywad

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2008
Thank you for your response. Judging by the others,you've actually had a pretty good group of people offering their ideas. This is a great outlet for all of us who have the interest in fine older firearms,as this particular one surely is. I've got one here I want to post,and so far haven't been able to accomplish the feat. ( A little computer illiterate I'd say ) I have gotten enough feedback from other sources to believe it's what's known as a Miquelete Flintlock Musket. Constructed in Turkey? Balkans? Spanish?? it's also VERY VERY old.There's NO question about that. As soon as I figure out how to post it,I shall immediately. If you should find the answers to your 'riddle" please let me know. You have a wonderful firearm there,and anybody with a speck of interest in older firearms,would be proud to have this fine older gun in their possession. I'm happy you were already knowledgeable about the "damascus" factor. I'll always mention anything I can to ensure the safety of another,or share anything I may know,in an effort to help out. Once again my thanks!
C:\Users\john\Pictures\QuickCam\Picture 21.jpg s

Attachments

• Picture 21.jpg
    Picture 21.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 10,165

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Great pics!!!! I have a few old front loading doubles. I do not shoot them, Why take a chance on your personal safety. Keep it as a great wall hanger. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread