Old Egyptian Bracelet?

swprman77

Greenie
Jul 15, 2011
Well my first time here..just posted a coin find out was a replica.

Thought id put my other find on here.

Found (in 1990) what looks to be this old black leather and silver hand made Egyptian style bracelet.
It was on the shore of an inlet ...under an old broken down rotten unused dock.
It seems to be for a woman with a small wrist.
The markings are badly worn.
It seems to have a scarab as the centerpiece. I cant tell what the scarab is made of but it seems light in weight.

I know it looks Egyptian..but wondering if anyone would know a possible age or value...or anything?

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 444
  • scarab.jpg
    scarab.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 416
  • bottomscarab.jpg
    bottomscarab.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 409
  • clasp.jpg
    clasp.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 426

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Those scarbs are made to look old. I purchased one in the British Museum gift shop. The bracelet has more value if it fits your wife/girlfriend (but not both). Looks like the end caps and the twisted wire may be sterling. Can't figure out the black stuff--black coral? Apparently a "craft fair" type of piece. Now thinking about it, one can pick up scarabs at any bead store or show, I suppose. Not into beads.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• scarab_leather_bracelet.jpg
    scarab_leather_bracelet.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,615
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

swprman77

Greenie
Jul 15, 2011
bigcypresshunter said:
The twisted metal is old style but I dont see how leather could possibly last long in a saltwater environment.

It resembles the scarab bracelets hand made in Turkey. http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/2806224/scarab_leather_bracelet.html

Value is minimal but its possible that the metal is silver. I dont know what the scarab is made from.

I didnt mention it was buried in sand and pebbles under the water. Maybe that helped preserve it?

But the markings in the silver have heavy wear from water?

I never mentioned I was pretty young at the time was actually looking for "treasure" lol...couldnt believe there was actually something there!
There was another bracelet but it was stolen from me...was identical to the one above but did not have a scarab.

Well anyways thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0

Dinidesign

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a similar bracelet at a small gem trade show in NY in the early 1990s from a vendor. It cost under $20. If you google leather scarab bracelet you will see images of similar bracelets. I have to say that I have worn it throughout the years...it is comfortable and interestingly exotic but that's where the value lies. I was told at the time by the middle eastern vendor it was Afghanistani.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread