Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Being semi older (64) with a lot of health issues and being crippled in the right foot, I really need a crutch to lean on at times to keep from falling on over as I walk. I walk like a drunk as it is and drag my right foot a lot plus my balance isn't so hot with my transplanted cornea nowhere mended. I use a Sampson shovel with a round knob at the top but prefer the T handle for getting back up. Plus it is about 5 or 6" too short for me as I have to lean way over to use it to balance me. So I sawed off the knob this morning and cut off the T handle of another shovel that I never used because I just don't like it. In the process, I made it 6" longer so that I didn't have to lean over so far. So now it is a T handle plus 6" longer. fits me a lot better. The ID of both pieces was .930 and I just happened to have a small broom handle that was that diameter. So after a little sanding, I tapped (small sledge) the broom handle into the T section first and then into the shovel section until it was flush. There is no getting it apart now and that is fine with me since I no longer have a welder. Now I can use it even better in all ways for me. Getting old and or crippled up ain't for the faint of heart. Yesterday I caught myself twice using the detector to keep me up and that is never good on them.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 73yrs old! Still somewhat active, got some artificial stuff, a few aches & pains but get still moving. The other day at Lowes I was last in a short line with a small bag of concrete under my arm, it was heavy but I had it!. One cashier told the other to take the "elderly" man in the back next, and pointed my way. I turned to to see this elderly guy behind me. There wasn't one, She was talking about me!!! I had never been called "elderly" before!! Things haven't been the same since:laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the shovel AND detector to slay up ALL THE TIME! I must be doing it wrong!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F.A.R.T = "finally arrived retirement time" truly authorized to use modified tools. Keep up the good work

Tinhorn2

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, 73 years old, is that it, I wondered what was wrong with me ...

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! As we all have heard before….necessity is the mother of invention. Smart move, glad to see your on your feet!

Metal Detecto

Jun 10, 2021
CA!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, HF9FMD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
*Silently exits thread* :laughing7:

Josh

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being semi older (64) with a lot of health issues and being crippled in the right foot, I really need a crutch to lean on at times to keep from falling on over as I walk. I walk like a drunk as it is and drag my right foot a lot plus my balance isn't so hot with my transplanted cornea nowhere mended. I use a Sampson shovel with a round knob at the top but prefer the T handle for getting back up. Plus it is about 5 or 6" too short for me as I have to lean way over to use it to balance me. So I sawed off the knob this morning and cut off the T handle of another shovel that I never used because I just don't like it. In the process, I made it 6" longer so that I didn't have to lean over so far. So now it is a T handle plus 6" longer. fits me a lot better. The ID of both pieces was .930 and I just happened to have a small broom handle that was that diameter. So after a little sanding, I tapped (small sledge) the broom handle into the T section first and then into the shovel section until it was flush. There is no getting it apart now and that is fine with me since I no longer have a welder. Now I can use it even better in all ways for me. Getting old and or crippled up ain't for the faint of heart. Yesterday I caught myself twice using the detector to keep me up and that is never good on them.

Like the re-purposing of other parts to make a better tool.

Also in my 60's at 66, but through no special personal virtue or merit, enjoy excellent health. I sometimes hear or see written comments by those among us who have been lucky in health that it has something to do with activity or what we do or don't eat or drink, etc., and it strikes me as smug or worse, boasting. My attitude is "there but for the grace of God go I". Take care, and thanks for sharing this inspiring story.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A botched operation on my foot took me from at least walking to being crippled. Throw in the rest of my ailments and the docs are insisting that I use a walker but I still refuse. I make myself walk in the stores although I may be leaning on a shopping cart. The foot thing causing the hip and back thing, a vicious cycle for sure. Usually when I begin to feel sorry for myself, a trip to the VA hospital reminds me that there are millions that would give anything to hobble around like I do. But back to the mod on the shovel, it sure made a big difference for me on the walking and getting back up. my "rechargeable" batteries don't last as long as they once did so I have to sit down more often but it is what it is. Just very thankful to still be able to do it at all. Heck, just being able to think it out good enough to actually do the mod is a lot these days. So I may dig a lot fewer holes than what I once could, it could be a lot worse. Now, if only I could see for sure what I just found!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread