What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Old find, new eyes

Older The Better

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2017
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
8,098
Golden Thread
0
Location
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve asked about this years ago, doing a new thread to find out but to also help with the “solved problem”, some reason I couldn’t edit a recent post of mine so I’m hoping it was some kind of glitch. Found on what I think is an old homesite, found with other items ranging from a northwest gun an 1867 2 cent piece and some likely late 1800’s items
 

Attachments

  • 274DF689-E498-4130-ADDA-DD5F5797A28B.webp
    274DF689-E498-4130-ADDA-DD5F5797A28B.webp
    148.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 9036C6D0-0C9C-4F29-8968-2C59A98EBB41.webp
    9036C6D0-0C9C-4F29-8968-2C59A98EBB41.webp
    258.1 KB · Views: 116
  • A23FB1D7-4666-4CB8-B7CA-471F6D7C0D30.webp
    A23FB1D7-4666-4CB8-B7CA-471F6D7C0D30.webp
    208.9 KB · Views: 99
I do believe that is a Celtic Welsh Red Dragon. Seen them in various use including buttons and broaches. Looks this one was used as some type of badge. Somebody likely proud of their heritage out there in Kansas.
 
Upvote 1
I don’t know what this may have originally been attached to, but I don’t think it has anything to do with Welsh heritage.

The traditional Welsh Red Dragon (y Ddraig Goch) has an arrow-shaped tip to the tail, whereas the tail on this one has a tufted end. That’s consistent with it being a griffin, which has the body of a lion, whereas the dragon has a reptilian body. Also, the wings are clearly feathered, which is again consistent with a griffin (having the front half of an eagle), whereas the Welsh dragon has leathery bat-like wings.

In general, heraldic dragons have a reptilian body with the tail either ending in a diamond or arrow-like tip (like the Welsh dragon) or tapering to a snake-like point. Heraldic griffins have a lion-like tail. The front half of the griffin is usually feathered and the forelegs eagle-like. Although both generally have talons, the griffin only has them on the forelegs, with the hind legs having paw-like feet. That’s what I see here. However, the head of the griffin should also be eagle-like and beaked, but here it’s not. Either of them may have a tongue of flame issuing from the mouth (as here), but the snout-like shape of the head is consistent with dragon.

It appears to me to be a hotch-potch of elements with the characteristics of both griffins and dragons, probably created as an artistic fantasy with no heraldic significance.


PS: there is a third heraldic mythical animal often confused with dragons and griffins: the Wyvern. These are also dragons with bat-like wings; a diamond, arrow, or snake-like tip to the tail; and a non-beaked mouth, but distinguished by having only two legs.
 
Upvote 4
I believe it is half of a cloak clasp/chain.

ah-xrtp0001n-dragon-sigil-brooch-nickel-2_2.jpg

They've been used for centuries but you can still buy them similar to that. Simply based on the construction of your device I'd guess late 19th to early 20 C.
 
Upvote 3
Thanks guys love the knowledge. Probably never happen but maybe someday I’ll find a maker and when it was made… it just seems so out of place on what I assume is a poor Kansas homestead.
 
Upvote 1
Thanks guys love the knowledge. Probably never happen but maybe someday I’ll find a maker and when it was made… it just seems so out of place on what I assume is a poor Kansas homestead.
Good luck in your search. I hate an unsolved mystery. It nis a nice piece.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom