Old Gold Coin Road, Delaware

prospectorYorkPA

Jan 16, 2007
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
Back in 1951 I lived in Lewes, DE. Of course then I was only 10 years old. Always heard stories of coins washing up on the beach south of Rehobeth. Actually was showed an old coin (English I believe) that the barber I went to found.

I was back in the area in the 1960's and located Old Gold Coin Road. (that's the actual name of the road). It's going south of Rehobeth and there used to be a Coast Guard station on the ocean side (I don't know if it's still there). The road just before the station is Old Gold Coin Road.

Has anyone ever heard of or hunted the area?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have. You are talking about a place called coin beach, now part of the Delaware Seashore park. That was past not present. People used to find coins on top of the sand especially after storms. I know a gentleman who recalled in the 60,s going down to the beach during and after a storm and picking up coins that were sitting on little sand pedestals, from the wind and blowing rain. A treasure hunters dream. When we get a real bed NorEaster there is still a few coins found, but not like then.

Ed D.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found arrowheads on pedestials in plowed fields.

Fossis.....................

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be similar to what happened here. As described to me, the gentleman walked down the shore, no detector and would see a glint in the sand and pick up a coin. The beach was like a starry night. I would think the number found this one night in the 1960,s to be over 50. Just imagine coins laying on top of the ground waiting to be found. When we have the next good NorEaster it is going to be hard not to be right there on the beach, probably with 20 other guys.

Ed D.

soakednova

Jun 13, 2013
Delaware
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool story, I've been wanting to get out to Coin Beach (or as you know it Old Gold Coin Road) and do some metal detecting myself. Are there any other details that you can recall about the location?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread