What's new

Old iron spike like object

Boomer-1

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2009
Messages
42
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gadsden, Al
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_scratch:
This object was dug at a wooded location in Alabama that played a large part in Andrew Jackson's campaign during the creek indian war 1813-1814.

I'm stumped, nobody seems to know what it is though some have guessed as what it could be used for...not really the same. ::) So if anyone has a clue, guess away.
 

Attachments

  • IMGA0732.webp
    IMGA0732.webp
    22 KB · Views: 453
  • IMGA0733.webp
    IMGA0733.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 562
  • IMGA0734.webp
    IMGA0734.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 423
  • IMGA0683.webp
    IMGA0683.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 533
It is forged iron, approx 7 inches long and was at one time two sepperate pieces.
 
Upvote 0
Kinda short for a grounding rod I would think. You could get :o. http://masterslic.tripod.com/FAQ-2/19.html
I wouldnt trust a ground rod that short. Is that a wire connected to it?

It almost looks like a railroad spike with something else..
 
Upvote 0
I think that is a spike off of a very crude piece of horse drawn farm equipment. I will post a photo of what I think it is in a bit. I dug it a while back, but still don't know what its intended use was or how it was used. I will run out to my garage and get it .
 
Upvote 0
thepoolguy said:
looks like a spike from a spike type drag for field work
I agree,arent ground rods copper?
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
I agree,arent ground rods copper?
I have seen copper coated iron and steel but they are 8 feet long.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
I think that is a spike off of a very crude piece of horse drawn farm equipment. I will post a photo of what I think it is in a bit. I dug it a while back, but still don't know what its intended use was or how it was used. I will run out to my garage and get it .

Here is the item that I dug. Unfortunately, the spike that was on the end fell out as I was carrying it back to my truck, but it had an attachment on it that looked similar to yours that hand a ring or link of chain attached to it. I assume that it was a connecting point for whatever this is, perhaps a field drag as previously stated. It was missing the spike on the other end when I found it. I added the piece of chain seen in the photo to hang it by, and it is not original to the piece.
 

Attachments

  • spikesj.webp
    spikesj.webp
    115.3 KB · Views: 529
Upvote 0
creskol said:
I think that is a spike off of a very crude piece of horse drawn farm equipment. I will post a photo of what I think it is in a bit. I dug it a while back, but still don't know what its intended use was or how it was used. I will run out to my garage and get it .
creskol, what you have is part of a spike tooth harrow.

http://pilgrim.ceredigion.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1500
 
Upvote 0
I have seen spikes like this used for tree lightning rods. You just run wire up to the top of a tree and just drive any old stake or a chisel like this one and use a galvanized ground rod clamp on it.
Sorry the picture, is not a good one.
 

Attachments

  • Ground%20Rod%20Clamps.pdf - Adobe Reader.webp
    Ground%20Rod%20Clamps.pdf - Adobe Reader.webp
    456 bytes · Views: 746
Upvote 0
taz42o said:
creskol said:
I think that is a spike off of a very crude piece of horse drawn farm equipment. I will post a photo of what I think it is in a bit. I dug it a while back, but still don't know what its intended use was or how it was used. I will run out to my garage and get it .
creskol, what you have is part of a spike tooth harrow.

http://pilgrim.ceredigion.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1500

Cool! Thanks! .. Sure is delicate as it is. The wood portion is only 2 1/4 inches in diameter. I wonder how it attached to the other members?
 
Upvote 0
Not a ground rod, I'm an electrician and I've seen hundreds. It is forged iron and the color is from me using electrolosys on it and then spraying it with a shelac type spray.

The piece sticking out of the side is iron also, I can't tell if it's a set screw or if it was a rod made into that piece, possibly with a ring on it.

As for a spike harrow? That's a good question and it very well might be, although I don't recall hearing of the site ever being cultivated. It is heavily wooded and kinda boggy in places.

Some thought it might have boon a picket pin at first but it is way too short, although it looks as if someone has hammered it into something in the past.
 

Attachments

  • IMGA0734.webp
    IMGA0734.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 429
  • IMGA0734.webp
    IMGA0734.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 304
  • IMGA0735.webp
    IMGA0735.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 0
I realize this reply is two years late, but I was just looking up information on my spike harrow and came across this. What you have there is indeed a spike and clamp from a harrow. The threaded portion is a t-bolt with the head inside of that clamp. I just took apart an old horse drawn harrow that was given to me, and the parts I have are identical. Hope someone finds this helpful!
 
Upvote 0
I realize this reply is two years late, but I was just looking up information on my spike harrow and came across this. What you have there is indeed a spike and clamp from a harrow. The threaded portion is a t-bolt with the head inside of that clamp. I just took apart an old horse drawn harrow that was given to me, and the parts I have are identical. Hope someone finds this helpful!
Yes any ID is helpful and thanks for posting. A pic would be cool. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom