old iron

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some of the iron I've been finding at a spot of mine. Pretty neat finding old farm and mill parts or just seeing how things were made and worked in those days. I'm finding tons of iron and most if it is corroded, but still neat.

100_0233.JPG

Upvote 12

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty cool old history keep digging you will find your Gem all those pieces will tell a story Good Job!!

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, it is a lot of fun. Learning what the finds are and just the general history of the place and what went on is very interesting.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look like spikes. Any railroads close to that farm.
Keep pulling that iron. It does have a habit of masking the silver.
Who knows,, maybe one of those iron overload signals will end up being a can of coins.

marion moore

Feb 23, 2015
Greenville, South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
since you found some old mill parts, you may find some old flat belt pulleys. the mill would have different sizes of

pulleys on different pcs of machinery, then they would use line shafts with different pulleys and flat leather belts

to drive the machinery. the whole set-up would be connected to a water wheel. no electric (great idea) if you notice

all the old mills that are left are on a river. later on the replaced the pulleys and etc. with a generator and electric

motors. this is just for you young folks. thanks, marion

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a railroad nearby as well as a station, but I think that came later in the 1800s. I have pulled some neat stuff out of there so far, but assume with all that iron around masking there is a lot more to pull out. I was thinking that some of those round parts were for those old flat belt pulleys or some type of wheel. I've found a couple of them, but of the same size nothing bigger yet. There is no remaining evidence of these mills other that what I'm pulling out of the ground Its all farm field now, but they are all near a creek or near where they diverted the creek (at the time). My grandfather actually used to use a huge flat belt to operate a piece of machinery from his tractor (dangerous) years ago and had an old flat belt splicer which was pretty neat. Thanks for the responses and info :thumbsup:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to dig old iron at old sites. It tells the story so well and I love trying to figure it out. It's like trying to put a puzzle together and the high value targets usually start showing up the more you work the site. If your finding hand forged iron, you know its a old site. That site should produce for a long time. Thanks for sharing.

HH, Relic Nut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions