Attachments

• man2.jpg
    man2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 327

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
diggummup said:
Old and rare indeed,perhaps even before 1830! ;) Sorry neither could I.
I think it's a tourist souvenir from Franconia Notch State Park in New Hampshire,which is where this formation is at.It does look like a watch fob.But what do I know?
http://www.franconianotchstatepark.com/oldman.html

You know your stuff, that's what! ;)

It is indeed a souvenir fob, probably c. 1910-20, of the Old Man of the Mountain, a.k.a. The Great Stone Face (as immortalized by Nathaniel Hawthorne), of New Hampshire. Unfortunately, the Old Man is no more: four years ago, the famed geologic feature fell prey to time, the elements, and the relentless force of gravity and— ahem— lost face.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
diggummup said:
Old and rare indeed,perhaps even before 1830! ;) Sorry neither could I.
I think it's a tourist souvenir from Franconia Notch State Park in New Hampshire,which is where this formation is at.It does look like a watch fob.But what do I know?
http://www.franconianotchstatepark.com/oldman.html

You know your stuff, that's what! ;)

It is indeed a souvenir fob, probably c. 1910-20, of the Old Man of the Mountain, a.k.a. The Great Stone Face (as immortalized by Nathaniel Hawthorne), of New Hampshire. Unfortunately, the Old Man is no more: four years ago, the famed geologic feature fell prey to time, the elements, and the relentless force of gravity and— ahem— lost face.
I am but a humble student,oh master PBK. :)

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep --- looks like its a--- the old man of the mountion (face) type item---please do not tell me ---"its 1830ish and a rare and valuible item" please oh please and might be worth as much as $5 whole dollars even on e bay ---Ivan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Thanks guys...PBK, what makes you think it dates to that time period? ...just interested because I'm trying to date my dump site and it came out of there...if you're just GUESSING then I'll just wait for my friend Daryl to tell me how old it really is... ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Copperhead said:
Thanks guys...PBK, what makes you think it dates to that time period? ...just interested because I'm trying to date my dump site and it came out of there...if you're just GUESSING then I'll just wait for my friend Daryl to tell me how old it really is... ;D ;D ;D

My estimate is based on the overall style of the fob, which is a stock pattern often seen in that date range. There are other fobs from the same time period which differ only in their central design, and many more which have similar "X" or triangular-holed bales. For example, note the similarity to this patriotic watch fob from 1917-18 (WWI):

WWI fob.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Thanks again PBK, hope you know I was joking with ya....I knew you had an explaination for dating it to that time period...just trying to pick your brain a little.......

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
not a prayer that st joesph is on the back--or st james the lesser either---maybe it the patron saint of junk medals ---st scrapus

Upvote 0

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
i can confrim that the writing is definately latin, maybe mandrin, and possibly sandscrit, which dates it as pre-jesus and worth about 9.7 million wampum......

Upvote 0

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would be interesting to compare the fob, side by side, to a New Hampshire quarter.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread