StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am finding useful, historical maps at our local public library. Some are available in person at the library, and some are handily available in electronic format via the library's website.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I use NETR Online ? Historic Aerials
Find the area, swipe back and forth from present to different years in the past. Not too old, nothing like Sanborn maps, but a good resource.

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am just learning about a non-profit website that I think was created and is maintained by a couple of TNet folks, called Land Matters: Welcome to Land Matters

Looks like a very useful website of maps, prospecting records, etc.

Last edited:

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just learning about a non-profit website that I think was created and is maintained by a couple of TNet folks, called Land Matters: Welcome to Land Matters

Looks like a very useful website of maps, prospecting records, etc.

I'm sure they mean well, but I just tried it and it was painfully slow and difficult to use. Acme mapper is what I use personally. Very fast!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure they mean well, but I just tried it and it was painfully slow and difficult to use. Acme mapper is what I use personally. Very fast!

Hi Juice,

I volunteer for the Land Matters website and do most of the map work there. Land Matters has a lot more than maps but I'm interested to hear about your experiences with the map function.

We use very fast servers and generally maps are generated on the server in under one second. I did test a base map on Land Matters and the same size map on Acme Mapper when I saw your comment. Both maps loaded in less than 4 seconds.

My experience may be that the maps load at the same speed but much more important is your experience in using the maps. We don't want users waiting around for maps so I'm hoping you can help us give you a better experience. Would you mind answering a few questions that might lead to faster maps for you? We could do that privately if you prefer.

I should point out a few facts that might cause you to take a second look at Land Matters.

Land Matters maps are created on each users click according to the features they choose to display.
Acme Mapper is Google Maps - the content is the same you could get on Google Maps.

There are no zoom restrictions on Land Matters.
Google Maps (and Acme Mapper) are limited to 14 zoom levels.

Land Matters offers complex search and sort options for each feature map layer displayed.
Acme Mapper (and Google) offer a single location search.

Land Matters covers many subjects - at last count there were more than 300 different mapping layers available and more than 300,000 items available for free download in the Library.
Acme mapper has Google's two map layers and two layers from Terraserver - 4 layers total.

Land Matters never ever tracks users.
Google Maps make their money by tracking all users (including Acme Mapper users).

All that being said there are some very good reasons you might prefer Google Maps (and Acme Mapper). Google has a very good address search function with the best road maps available. Land Matters and Google Maps use the same aerial imagery but Google "smooths" the image to make it appear less pixelated. These are features that Land Matters may never be able to provide. There may be other reasons to prefer Google (Acme Mapper).

Land Matters is not in competition with Acme Mapper or Google. We are doing something very different from their mapping methods. Our objective is to give Land Matters users public information they can use to better understand the land resources available to them. Our goal is to inform and educate land users. Google's goal is to sell the information they get from your use of their maps.

Land Matters is only a few months old and doesn't have a paid staff or billions of dollars in their budget. You can help us give you what you need in a mapping system just by letting us know what would work better for you. This is your opportunity to get the type of maps and documents that are the most useful to you. :thumbsup:

Keep er Beepin'

Barry

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thread. Lots of info here already. Thank you all. Every source listed was added to my FAVORITES. Now, back to lurking.:coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread