What's new

old moonshine still question

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2018
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,731
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These look like meta grain storage bins that were built into the ground. I am assuming for raw materials making moonshine. But I am not sure. I have metal detect a leveled out area upstream about 30 feet and found lots of rusted barrel hoops and a bent U-shaped small gauge rail road track about 4' long. This location is in a forest where an 1840's homesite is located. The still is about 1/2 mile from the house. So the question is were these metal round cylinders used for grain storage or something else? in the last picture you can see other depressions/holes which may indicate there were 5 or 6 storage bins at this location by the creek.

oldstill (2)small.webp
oldstill (3)small.webp
 

Attachments

  • oldstill (1)small.webp
    oldstill (1)small.webp
    110.4 KB · Views: 63
The barrel were used for the worm/s. Judging from the size of the holes I'd say is the mash pots. Once you start cooking you gotta secure the cap on the still or the pressure will blow it right off. The size of the mash pots let's you know that they had a good size still rolling. I know running 50 gallons can be hard work. That right there is overtime!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom