Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old muzzleloader rifle - Additional pictures

I got this old shotgun from the wife of a buddy of mine who passed away suddenly about a year ago. About all I can see on the markings are a crown, a few numbers and letters, and a small crown over V. No markings on the barrel are visible. The letters _could_ be R 1845.

Any of you gun guys recognize? Any info is appreciated.

shotgun.jpg

shotgun markings.jpg

shotgunbore.jpg

Happy New Year!

DCMatt

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn! what a Bore!!!..........................................HH

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The marking is "Tower 1945" ...and the small crown has the British Broad-Arrow mark under it, not a V. The Broad-Arrow mark was used to denote "Property of His/Her Majesty's Government" on items which had been inspected and approved for service in the British miltary forces.

Your photos don't show us quite enough key characteristics of the gun for certainty of identification. But based on the presence of the Broad-Arrow mark and "Tower 1845" markings, it is probably the primary rifle of the British army at that time ...a .704-caliber Brunswick rifle. You can view photos and info about it, here: British military rifles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let us know if it's a match. Note, there were four models (1836, 1840, 1841, and 1848), so there may be some variation between yours and the model in the photo.

Attachments

• rifle_British_Brunswick_70-caliber_Model1836-1840-or-1841_fullview.jpg
    rifle_British_Brunswick_70-caliber_Model1836-1840-or-1841_fullview.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks more like a British pattern 1842 musket that has been converted to a shotgun. Could have been an early Civil War import converted post war.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gentlemen - Thanks for all the info. It does appear to be a Brunswick Rifle. The little bit of research I did this morning is inconclusive as to model.

In my opinion, it is in poor condition. I was going to clean it up a little to use in my living history presentations.

I want to make a fair offer on this gun. Any thoughts?

DCMatt

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As you probably already know, after the civil war ended a great many "war surplus" army rifles were bought by civilians, who modified those rifles' shape according to personal preference, such as shortening the long barrel and the forestock's length. Those modifications significantly diminish a historical rifle's collector-value.

As I mentioned previously, you didn't post enough photos showing the gun's distinctive characteristics. Examples: You didn't show whether the stock has a patchbox, or not, and how many ramrod guide pipe/thimbles it has. For certainty about its ID as either a Brunswick Rifle or a Model-1839 Musket (and whether it has been modified or not), you'll need to check details like its barrel length, forestock length, etc. If the barrel got cut down, the forestock's cap was probably also removed.

Also, I notice that the trigger-guard's rear end does not have a finger-grip flange, which most of the Brunswick rifles had.

Please let us know the result after you've checked those details. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As you probably already know, after the civil war ended a great many "war surplus" army rifles were bought by civilians, who modified those rifles' shape according to personal preference, such as shortening the long barrel and the forestock's length. Those modifications significantly diminish a historical rifle's collector-value.

As I mentioned previously, you didn't post enough photos showing the gun's distinctive characteristics. Examples: You didn't show whether the stock has a patchbox, or not, and how many ramrod guide pipe/thimbles it has. For certainty about its ID as either a Brunswick Rifle or a Model-1842 Musket (and whether it has been modified or not), you'll need to check details like its barrel length, forestock length, etc. If the barrel got cut down, the forestock's cap was probably also removed.

Also, I notice that the trigger-guard's rear end does not have a finger-grip flange, which most of the Brunswick rifles had.

Please let us know the result after you've checked those details. :)

I'll try to post more pics this evening.

I can say that there is no patchbox. The forestock has been shortened significantly. Possibly broken off then reshaped (poorly) and refinished. There are no ramrod thimbles and no ramrod. The barrel has NOT been cut down. It is over 30 inches long. The rear sight is missing.

More later.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK I took a few more pics. Now that I know a little bit about this gun I believe it is a frankenrifle. Here it is compared to my repro 1853 Enfield.

brunswicktrigger.jpg brunswickstock.jpg brunswickmuzzle.jpg

brunswickforestock.jpg brunswickside.jpg

It is similar to the reproduction gun in many ways.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Everybody is saying rifle. You state that it's a shotgun, that would be a smooth bore. Does the barrel have rifling's? If not it's a musket.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everybody is saying rifle. You state that it's a shotgun, that would be a smooth bore. Does the barrel have rifling's? If not it's a musket.

Bosnmate - You are correct. It has a smooth bore so that makes it a musket. The previous owner always thought it was a shotgun because of the huge bore and the short fore stock. I made the same assumption when I posted the thread. Now I can't change the original title. That said, I think it was used as a shotgun.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread