Old Permission - Field 1 - Day 7 - Roman Silver & TREASURE...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, I wanted to finish a section of this field that meant we had completed about 60% of the field up to a break in the hedge. We may or may not do the less productive end later...
It went better than expected & the 1 Hammered I hoped for turned into a few other nice finds.
The usual Saturday Hunt - Cru'dad 2hrs 15mins, me 2hrs 45mins.

3 Scrappies
Broken Tudor Button
Victorian 31st Reg of Foot Button
Medieval Lead Weight
Broken Tudor Clothes Fastener
Tudor Book Clasp
Mystery Roman Terminal thingy
3 Lead Tokens
1874 3 Pence (Better than my one in the collection)
Roman Silver Ant. of Gordian III
Tudor Silver Dress Fastener
- Type I've never seen & can't find a parallel on the PAS. I've down a rough drawing of how I think it looked. It was the loop side of a fastener, & the hook went into it.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

Upvote 23
Today, I wanted to finish a section of this field that meant we had completed about 60% of the field up to a break in the hedge. We may or may not do the less productive end later...
It went better than expected & the 1 Hammered I hoped for turned into a few other nice finds.

3 Scrappies
Broken Tudor Button
Medieval Lead Weight
Tudor Book Clasp
3 Lead Tokens
- Type I've never seen & can't find a parallel on the PAS. I've down a rough drawing of how I think it looked. It was the loop side of a fastener, & the hook went into it.

View attachment 2150969View attachment 2150970View attachment 2150971View attachment 2150972View attachment 2150974View attachment 2150975View attachment 2150976View attachment 2150977View attachment 2150978
I'm speechless....or nearly...super interesting finds! Love the fastener and 31 button..

Nice little piece there.....I would have to reckon that over there where there is such vast histories and occupations of land that you would find many one-off artifacts made by smiths per requests...cant imagine that all made pieces are going to be production type. What are your thoughts on this? Btw, i like how you drew in the missing pieces based on the symmetry of the piece, a common practice in the archie world too.

3 Scrappies
Broken Tudor Button
Medieval Lead Weight
Tudor Book Clasp
3 Lead Tokens

View attachment 2150969View attachment 2150970View attachment 2150971View attachment 2150972View attachment 2150974View attachment 2150975View attachment 2150976View attachment 2150977View attachment 2150978
Nice drawing, I almost was fooled that it was a pic from a museum!

3 Scrappies
Broken Tudor Button
Medieval Lead Weight
Tudor Book Clasp
3 Lead Tokens

Cru', the fourth pic down, far left almost looks like a face to me...probably not a face...I tend to see faces especially in trees...

interesting design on the fastener with what appears to be the faces of babies (?) I wonder if it was perhaps for a very young girl's dress?

Cru', the fourth pic down, far left almost looks like a face to me...probably not a face...I tend to see faces especially in trees...
Medieval Lead Weight, I think its a kind of Crossed-I.

Nice little piece there.....I would have to reckon that over there where there is such vast histories and occupations of land that you would find many one-off artifacts made by smiths per requests...cant imagine that all made pieces are going to be production type. What are your thoughts on this? Btw, i like how you drew in the missing pieces based on the symmetry of the piece, a common practice in the archie world too.
There are quite a few of these fasteners that have 1 big loop & 2 attachment loops. Less that have 3 attachment loops, & not many that I can find that have multiple sewing loops. However, there is a consistency with the pattern of '3' various decorations, just not seen any with faces. Not to say it isn't published in a really unusual book I don't own. However, you would normally find at least one on the PAS. I would guess, it's just a very rare variant.

3 Scrappies
Broken Tudor Button
Medieval Lead Weight
Tudor Book Clasp
3 Lead Tokens

Wow!! Beautiful finds, congrats!!…. And I thought my wheat Pennie’s were cool🤣

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back