Upvote 8

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a cool button, but it doesn't look like a fleur de lis. It looks more like an Edwardian plume, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it too....welcome to T-NET !!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Villival is right - not [h=2]fleur de lis - Welsh plume[/h]The symbol of three feathers was popular in ancient Christianity, especially among the Medici, who used them as an emblem representing the three virtues of Faith, Hope and Charity

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool button and I learned something new. I didn't know that a Welsh Plume was a thing...

OP
OP
M

MissSharon

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you I've learned something new as well.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you I've learned something new as well.
Forget what you just learnt.:laughing7:
It's not the Prince of Wales Feathers, if thats what people meant.
I agree you have a stylized Fleur-de-lis.

I'm not sure if its pewter though as they are not 2 piece like yours, I'm going with 20th C blazer button.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Red Coat, you may be right, but I am a born and raised New Orleanian and have never seen a fleur de lis with the top, middle part like that, that is to say, divided like a flower and basically the same height.

It should be obviously higher that the two parts flanking it and come to a point after curving inward.

If stylized means *******ization of a known symbol, then you may be right. However, if that's the case, it could be anything, even a stylized (*******ized) version of an Edwardian plume.

It simply doesn't look like any fleur de lis I have ever seen.

That said, I admire your extensive knowledge on many subjects and always look forward to reading about it on this forum.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red Coat, you may be right, but I am a born and raised New Orleanian and have never seen a fleur de lis with the top, middle part like that, that is to say, divided like a flower and basically the same height.

It should be obviously higher that the two parts flanking it and come to a point after curving inward.

If stylized means *******ization of a known symbol, then you may be right. However, if that's the case, it could be anything, even a stylized (*******ized) version of an Edwardian plume.

It simply doesn't look like any fleur de lis I have ever seen.

That said, I admire your extensive knowledge on many subjects and always look forward to reading about it on this forum.

Thanks... but I think you're confusing me with 'Crusader', who made that comment. Nevertheless, I completely agree with what he says. It's not a 'Welsh Plume' in the sense of being feathers as used by the Prince of Wales. Look at the bases of the three items, which are not at all feather-like in that they aren't quilled or shafted. It's not really a fleur-de-lis in a true heraldic sense either but that's what it most closely resembles as a stylised depiction.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You're right Red. Both you and Cru are highly knowledgeable.

I just don't think it looks like a fleur de lis. And to be accurate, I did say it only LOOKS more like an Edwardian plume.

That said, you guys rock. I learn so much on this site.

Forgive my manners. Welcome Miss Sharon. What a great way to learn about history. Just dig it out of the ground yourself.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right Red. Both you and Cru are highly knowledgeable.

I just don't think it looks like a fleur de lis. And to be accurate, I did say it only LOOKS more like an Edwardian plume.

That said, you guys rock. I learn so much on this site.

Forgive my manners. Welcome Miss Sharon. What a great way to learn about history. Just dig it out of the ground yourself.
I give you the best reason I have why its 'copying' a Fleur-de-lis design, I find many Lead tokens copying that design dating from from the 16th C - 18th C & many of those stylized versions are no-where near as convincing as this one on this 20th C button. Just shows you how many variants there are out there & there are many, not just 1.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread