What's new

Old Pistol found in woods today

p2c

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
I know little about antique firearms, so any ideas? My buddies in the Illinois forum confirmed my suspicion that this is both real and really old (when I first found it in the woods I thought it was a toy until looking closer).

Gun!.webp

GunB.webp

The handle was wood, there is still a little bit of rotten wood in there. The side plates are some sort of metal that did not rust and formed a patina. The barrel, hammer (rusted away), trigger (rusted away) and revolver (rusted) are some sort of Ferrous metal (steel or Iron), so at least 2 different metals. The amount of rust prevents me from of course see if the revolver is separate from the gun body, but it appears as if it once was. Lowbatts in the IL forum suggests this may be circa 1840-60 Smith and Wesson Model 1 or similar type firearm. I really don't know anything about this, so comments please.

Also, I don't know what to do with it. I am best leaving it as is? Getting Electrolysis done on it? Or what?

Thanks much!
 

Attachments

  • Gun!.webp
    Gun!.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 2,821
  • GunB.webp
    GunB.webp
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,210
Upvote 0
I also think that is the .32 S&W. I found a "73" Winchester .44/40 awhile back and did the electrolysis in a large plastic waste container, it turned out beautiful. A lot faster than soaking it forever.
Pagosa Pete
 
I would never advise to look down the barrel of a gun but in this case I don't think there would be a problem. The barrel is most likely corroded to the point of being completely closed up. That and any internal parts are probably frozen with rust, but i sure wouldn't hit it with a hammer nor shove anything up the barrel. Check the cylinder to see if its even "loaded". If the adjoining chambers are empty its most likely safe. Most handguns will rotate the cylinder to position (called indexing) a round before firing.
 
Thanks to all for the info and lively discussion.

Like Daveb said, the barrel is corroded shut, the cylinder is frozen. It is so rusted on the cylinder that it is hard to tell, but I suspect I see what might be a round in it. The hammer is there, but frozen in the gun, plus the part you'd cock it with is rusted away. I am going to try to find a curator or preservation expert to talk to before doing anything. Thanks also for the advice Daveb -- I put it in a zip lock and searched my medicine cabinet for silica gel. I may try putting nitrogen gas in the bag to help keep rust down as well. I am asking a librarian friend at University of Chicago if he knew of anyone who is an expert I can ask about cleaning and preservation. It may be a while before I get this cleaned up.

Cheers,
Jon
 
Having found a few myself, I am comfortable offering some advice. Based upon your photo, the gun appears to be cast iron. My experience has been that electrolysis works very well on cast iron...usually the rust falls off after a short soak. For finer detailed work, an electric engraving machine can bring out detail. Just be sure not to gouge into the metal, just run along the surface and the junk falls right off! I picked that up from a curator. Good Luck! HH
 
Try this for restoration. They may at least have some ideas, plus they're in the area. I've been there several times since its right down from me.

First Division Museum
Tue-Sun: 10am to 4pm
1S151 Winfield Road
Wheaton, IL 60189
630.668.5161

Good luck, let me know if I can help.

Dave
 
Cool find. I've always wanted to find an antique like that.

I believe it's what they call a "suicide special." A suicide special was a small revolver manufactured by a number of different companies in the mid to late 1800's. I have no idea what the price range would be for a relic that might have more value as a relic left in its current state. I picked up 2 in the summer in nice condition at antique malls for around $150 each. There was one on display that was a rusted mess (treasure in the eyes of many) that was priced higher.

It doesn't seem to look like any of the ones currently pictured but I might be wrong. There are antique revolvers that are priced higher then Smith & Wessons. Do a search on the internet and you might find one that looks closer to yours.

Good luck and congratulations on such a nice find.
 
In my opinion soaking it fuel oil for about a week would help break down some of the rust. Then spray it down with break clean and let air dry. This will remove all the oil. Then try electrolysis on it. Low amp if possible. I like to use 2 amp trickle charge.
It's a little slower but it will be less harsh in the process. Then use a stiff bristle brush to remove the loose particles on the item. Don't use a wire brush due to it will scratch and possibly remove possible identification marks. Some folks might not like this method but it has worked for me in the past with very good results. Good luck and great find.
 
Very Cool Find!
 
Good dig :icon_thumleft: congrats
Electrolysis is what I'd do. :coffee2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom