What's new

Old Plow Blade Maybe?

SCMDing

Full Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
140
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rock Hill, SC
Hello Tnet'ers! I have had some buckets with some iron sitting around for a bit, because it seems to be what I find most on my property! This one was the first one I grabbed out to zap for a bit ( because I was bored ) and looks like it might be some sort of old plow blade? It measures about 10" long and about 4" wide. The sides are pretty similar, I am just posting one of the sides. And the second picture is it on its edge so that you can see the shape of it. It was literally a block of rust when I started!

I am pretty sure that the land I am on used to be cotton fields a long time ago, not positive though.

As always, any feedback is very appreciated!

iron01.jpg



iron02.jpg
 
Are the edges sharp? How heavy is it? It looks like it could be a wing from a toy airplane maybe.
 
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
Are the edges sharp? How heavy is it? It looks like it could be a wing from a toy airplane maybe.

The lower edge in the top picture ( which is not the edge in the second scan ) is a little more thin, but I would not really call it a sharp edge. It is solid iron and is pretty heavy. It is 10"x4" and almost an inch thick in some areas.
 
Upvote 0
Big piece of iron 10 x 4 ;D

Looks like saw/file marks.

Found in SC? Maybe weaving weight :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Big piece of iron 10 x 4 ;D

Hahaha, yea, that is basically where I am at this point! Being an avid daily Tnet reader, I have learned that it is better to ask than to throw away the rudder to Noah's Arc or something like that!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Being a farm boy, I wonder if it isn't a broken cultivator tooth.
 
Upvote 0
Bum Luck said:
Being a farm boy, I wonder if it isn't a broken cultivator tooth.

Nice to know another farm boy is on Tnet. :icon_thumleft: I'm one too. I'll make a wild guess on it; it looks like one edge took the hits, (maybe from being set at different levels where the holding clamp bit into it) which makes it seem like it didn't exactly cultivate (might have), but might have faced the soil on an angle edge forward, being perhaps one of the two trailing plates to a planter that pushed soil back into the furrow?? (as far as I know most cultivator teeth transitioned from a square pointed spike right into a crescent? Does that sound right to you also Bum Luck?)
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Bum Luck said:
Being a farm boy, I wonder if it isn't a broken cultivator tooth.

Nice to know another farm boy is on Tnet. :icon_thumleft: I'm one too. I'll make a wild guess on it; it looks like one edge took the hits, (maybe from being set at different levels where the holding clamp bit into it) which makes it seem like it didn't exactly cultivate (might have), but might have faced the soil on an angle edge forward, being perhaps one of the two trailing plates to a planter that pushed soil back into the furrow?? (as far as I know most cultivator teeth transitioned from a square pointed spike right into a crescent? Does that sound right to you also Bum Luck?)

That sounds like the one that we have.
 
Upvote 0
Thats 10' x 4' huh? Thats one big quarter..lol.....At first it looked like some sort of scabbard to me. I know they have been made out of brass and steel in the past but never heard of one made of iron. Are you sure that it is solid and the hollow opening is not covered with corrosion?
 
Upvote 0
I think it's a wedge.
 
Upvote 0
Rookie2 said:
Thats 10' x 4' huh? Thats one big quarter..lol.....At first it looked like some sort of scabbard to me. I know they have been made out of brass and steel in the past but never heard of one made of iron. Are you sure that it is solid and the hollow opening is not covered with corrosion?

LOL, I am an ass! Yea, 10" x 4". I even missed the whole first round of jokes that people already made!

It is definitely solid. I would think wedge as well except that the end does not appear to be hammered at all, like some of the axe heads I have found.

I appreciate all the replies so far.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom