old school house finds

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
Went to an old school house yesterday that I have wanted to hunt for a long time, it was pretty hot so I stayed under the shade trees, still a lot to hunt! was surprised that these were the only things I pulled up that are even worth mentioning. oh well a lot more to hunt, didnt even get around front!

The area has a lot of history, mad Anthony Wayne cut through the forest here and it was later settled in 1807, at one time there was a post office and a hotel but when they brought the railroad tracks in several miles west of town it is pretty much a blur on a state route. Not sure how old the school house is, guessing late 1800's?? it is now a machine shop!

curious what the thing is below the harmonica reed,if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Attachments

• DSC00450.jpg
    DSC00450.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 767
  • DSC00454.jpg
    DSC00454.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 772
  • DSC00459.jpg
    DSC00459.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 769
  • DSC00467.jpg
    DSC00467.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 760
Upvote 0
OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
forgot the picture of the old school house and small area I hunted yesterday

Attachments

• DSC00436.jpg
    DSC00436.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 759
  • DSC00443.jpg
    DSC00443.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 755

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you found something .....I would give that place another try....like they say, you just have to walk over it to find it! HH

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Older schoolyards are easily researched by TH'ers
so this place may have been hit pretty hard in the past.
Best of luck on return, and nice finds there today.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
thanks guys! I think i will do pretty good here, the biggest problem is a lot of it is now gravel parking and an addition was put on the back but like I said there is still a LOT to hunt.

It was hunted one other time several years ago unless it was hunted illegally because the person has owned it for several years.

Mike

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Do Lisa and I have to come over there and show you how to pull out the silver? Hmmmm?
Is that ball thing hollow? Kind of looks like a bell.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
Is that ball thing hollow? Kind of looks like a bell.

I was thinkin a bullet! ;D

Love to see the pictures Mike!! Congrats on your finds and good luck on the front!

;)

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
nana is right, it is a bullet, i am pretty sure it is MAD ANTHONY WAYNE'S bullet also, back in the late 1700's on his way up to Piqua ohio his troops marched through here and cleared the woods where they started the town just a few years later so I am pretty sure Mad Anthony made this bullet himself then dropped it... pretty good B.S. story huh? ;D

and YES you need to come show me how to get silver!! still using my new XLT but feel more compfortable with my Prizm III!!! I swear I think my Prizm is more accurate! only using factory setting on the xlt also... just doesnt make sense!

mike

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, Mikey, pup...where've you been? Nice digs! I love to dig musketballs. One of my favorites.

I laughed when I saw the Mad Anthony reference....My son had a band called "Mad Anthony".

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
yeah i love digging them also, dont know why.... call me crazy! lol is he into history lisa?? i love history, only class I ever did good in while in school, I was pretty good at math until sophmore year, my teacher was HOT so i had to fail it a few times.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike,

nice artifacts.

Sounds and looks like it could be a
productive site; all the best working
it.

have a good un............

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
thanks for all the luck guys, will probably be a few more weekends before I can get back to there, supposed to do an old house this weekend though that looks very promising!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Mike. I have found many of those what look like harmonica reeds. Don't think
that's what they are though. I usually find them at old school house sites also.

Just a reminder that each school sat on usually one square acre of ground. So
if you want to walk 70 paces from the corner of the lot and then 70 paces
from there so u make a half square acre. That is what I step off to measure out a square
acre. So you might be hunting in a field next to this school site, that was orginally part
of the school property. Try it and let me know. I use tile flags to mark the area. You only
have to do half of it, and then start walking. Good Luck and HH, Ringfinder

P.S. I'll bet there are still good finds at this site, many people only hunt what they can see
and not the whole site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions