What's new

Old silver, glue and Acetone

diggin jimmy hoffa

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2007
Messages
765
Reaction score
42
Golden Thread
0
Location
Somewhere in Michiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this coin that is glued onto some sort of jewelry piece. I want to remove it, but it is glued pretty good and I do not want to ruin the coin. Does anyone think that an Acetone soak would be ok?
Thanks for any help you can give.

DJH
 

Attachments

  • 1880 SD (3) (Custom).webp
    1880 SD (3) (Custom).webp
    26.2 KB · Views: 445
You try to boil it? I guess it would depend what the glue is, but I'd give it a shot.
 
Try a hot water soak first. if that doesn't work you can crack out the acetone. siegfried schlagrule
 
Thanks for the response.

IP, I did nuke some water and I had the coin in the freezer and then put it in the boiling water. It did soften the fake jewels on the outside and started to seperate the coin from the backing. After that, it took a great deal of vice grip and plier work to bend the back off of the coin. Didn't ruin the coin and I didn't have to use the Acetone.

Here's what it looked like after the removal.

Thanks
DKH
 

Attachments

  • 1880 Morgan Dollar #2.webp
    1880 Morgan Dollar #2.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 379
diggin jimmy hoffa said:
Thanks for the response.

IP, I did nuke some water and I had the coin in the freezer and then put it in the boiling water. It did soften the fake jewels on the outside and started to seperate the coin from the backing. After that, it took a great deal of vice grip and plier work to bend the back off of the coin. Didn't ruin the coin and I didn't have to use the Acetone.

Here's what it looked like after the removal.

Thanks
DKH


Less blingy, lots better! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom