LogansRun

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help with age range and type of table? Was acquired many years ago but no other information. Thanks for any help.
IMG_20200609_202506_01.jpg IMG_20200609_202510_01.jpg IMG_20200609_202517_01.jpg IMG_20200609_202522_01.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sturdy-looking thing but I donā€™t think itā€™s a table as such. It looks to be either a dresser base (which may at one time have had a back to hold crockery) or more likely a sideboard. From a stylistic point of view itā€™s ā€˜renaissanceā€™ with heavy baluster legs in Tudor style but copied from that period. I would guess at mid to late 1800s Victorian revival, but you canā€™t date pieces like this just by looking at pictures of the outside.

There donā€™t appear to be any drawers, but what seems to be a brass ring at the front centre suggests it may have a hinged top that opens up. Does it? If so, could we please see whether itā€™s compartmented and how any joints are constructed. Also, have a close look for any marks or stamps (and look underneath the whole thing as well).

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Back away from the table so we can see what it looks like. You are tooooooo close to get the overall configuration. Almost reminds me of a library table of sorts.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it the pictures or do the legs not match the top?

My first thought was "foyer table". Late Victorian/early Ewardian (1890 - 1910 give or take a decade).

It could be, as Red-Coat implies, a 'frankenside-board' made up of pieces from other bits of furniture. Pictures of the unseen parts will help tell the story.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be, as Red-Coat implies, a 'frankenside-board' made up of pieces from other bits of furniture.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting it to be a mongrel of other pieces... only that the piece is a later revival of the styling from which it draws its inspiration.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting it to be a mongrel of other pieces... only that the piece is a later revival of the styling from which it draws its inspiration.

Sorry. My misinterpretation... based on my thoughts and your words...

I've seen pieces in antique shops and auctions where they had two pieces that were unusable (unsaleable) separately, but when combined made a functional looking piece of "antique furniture".

As you said, a look underneath will help tell the tale.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Style is a "trestle table" but no idea of the age. Baroque?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LogansRun

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Back away from the table so we can see what it looks like. You are tooooooo close to get the overall configuration. Almost reminds me of a library table of sorts.

Got some better pictures. No markings or labels could be found. Thanks for any help.
IMG_1047.jpg IMG_1049.jpg IMG_1052.jpg IMG_1054.jpg IMG_1055.jpg IMG_1056.jpg

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would have helped considerably if you had provided the pictures indicating it was a butterfly-leaf table when you first posted.

I would still say this falls within what is variously known as Renaissance revival, Jacobean revival, Flemish revival and various other terms which began appearing in America from around 1870 onwards. Companies such as Berkey & Gay of Grand Rapids, Michigan popularised the style using designs produced by John Keck and progressively adapted them for more practical use in American homes. The butterfy-leaf extension is such an adaptation and I would think puts this table somewhat later.

Most usually, butterfly leaves like that operate to make an already-wide table longer (to accommodate more seated guests at dinner for example); rather than wider such that a narrow console table can also serve as a dining table if needed, but without taking up too much space.

B&G noted in their 1910 advertising pamphlet ā€˜Character in Furnitureā€™:
In the present revival of the Seventeenth Century styles in furniture, two interesting factors may be noted; the opportunity to study at first hand a neglected period in design and the wider range and variety presented to the prospective buyer. A few years ago it was almost impossible to find furniture of Seventeenth Century pattern. The few pieces were expensive antiques, little suited to an American home. When furniture-makers turned their attention to this interesting period a rich and attractive field was presented for the first time to the general public. "Flanders" is the trade name chosen by the Berkey & Gay Furniture Company to designate a style which they have adapted with marked success, using the strong, sturdy characteristics of the late Sixteenth and early Seventeenth Centuries.

If this table were from B&G or one of several other leading makers it would for sure be marked, so I would assume itā€™s from a lesser maker jumping on that bandwagon and from around the same era. Say very late 1800s through to about 1930 at the latest.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the pull rings were exactly that, just pull rings to help spreading the table to put in the leaf.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take some close ups of the screw heads or other fasteners that can help to date the piece.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread