🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Old Tin Toys - Stove, Mixer, Toaster

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Is anyone here good with old tin toys? These are supposed to be around 70 years old according to the source.

Items are a stove, what appears an ice cream mixer, sewing machine, toaster, and stack of plastic dishes marked "Banner U.S.A." (one has a metal base).

Any thoughts on maker or value? I just want to make sure they're not auction material before taking them to the flea market.
toys1.JPG toys2.JPG

toys3.JPG toys4.JPG

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 1950s would be about right but I don't think there's anything of great value there. The ones I recognise (pretty sure) are the stove which looks to be by "Wolverine" and the toaster which looks to be a "Little Debbie". Those might fetch $50 and $25 tops respectively but only in really nice unrusted condition with undamaged paintwork and no missing parts. Otherwise the value drops dramatically.

The "ice cream mixer" is (also pretty sure) a washing machine, which would probably originally have had a wringer attachment that clipped to the top. Don't know the maker and, although a better view of the decal on the side would help track it down, it isn't worth the effort.

The sewing machine is nice, might be a little earlier and could be worth a separate listing but still only two-digit value. Don't recognise the maker, but could we please have some isolated pictures of it and some dimensions?

Upvote 5

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you not simply have given us the dimensions, rather than expecting us to make comparisons to a soda can? The sewing machine is by ‘Casige’ (Carl Seiper of Gevelsberg, Germany). Like this one, said to be a ‘Model 0’ from the 1930s, which measures 11cm long x 5cm wide and 13cm high:

Casige.jpg

Although highly collectable, In my opinion the asking price is a little high, even for a pre-war model in nice condition. Yours is obviously not in that condition, but you could probably free it up with some penetrating oil or WD-40. Note however that although yours could be one of these more desirable pre-war models, Casige resumed production after the war. The post-war models are generally rather larger, but initial post-war production re-started using the remaining inventory of pre-war parts. Immediately after the war they were also stamped “Casige, Made in Germany, British Zone” until late 1949 when occupation of Germany ended; then without that stamp until 1975. I suspect yours is probably post-war, but could still be in the mid to high double-digit value territory.

The design of the washing machine and the bear decal have similarities to those made by the Bay Products Corporation of Boston, but I’m only guessing at a maker. Whichever, it’s not a valuable item in that condition. Not more than $25 or so, I would think.

Upvote 6

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I feel all tin toys hold value as a collectible, even toys from the 1950s. All these pieces need is to be given a light cleaning with dish soap and water, but be careful not to remove the graphics or submerse them in the water.

If you then displayed them for sale as a group, you may be pleasantly surprised at what someone would be willing to pay for these pieces. :thumbsup:

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread