I will take a picture of it in day light.creeper71 said:pic is too dark can't really see to much of it.. It is always best to put a bottle in natural sunlight when taking a photo of it.
Here are a couple of pictures of the bottle in the day light.creeper71 said:pic is too dark can't really see to much of it.. It is always best to put a bottle in natural sunlight when taking a photo of it.
It Says, Maughams patent carrarra water, reg. may 1845. on the neck. Brian C.Harry Pristis said:That's an attractive bottle . . . a round-bottom ginger ale is my guess, just as creeper described.
Here are a couple I have here:
Thanks for the info on my bottle, I have never researched it at all, I bought it because it was a neat find. Brian C.Harry Pristis said:I suspect that "Carrarra water" is a reference to the (Carrera) marble powder used in the production of carbon dioxide in a gas generating machine. Ginger ale and other drinks were carbonated using the gas produced by mixing sulphuric acid with marble (calcium carbonate) powder. Here's a link with more details:
http://www.hutchbook.com/Bottling Mfg Carbonated Water/default.htm
You might search for info on Maugham's patent. I think your bottle dates to much later than 1845.
I did read the article on this bottle, it mentions that there are only 3 or 4 known and quite rare? I have sent the the person who wrote this article a message asking more about the bottle. Brian C.Harry Pristis said:That was interesting! Thanks for the link, Don!
Sooo . . . carrarra water is something other than ginger ale (too bad the article didn't specify what). And the bottle may indeed date to the mid-1800s. The link between "carrarra water" and "carrera marble" remains tenuous.
I cannot recall ever seeing one of this type bottle before.
3 or 4 known bottles would make it scarce.. it may have some good value to itBrian C. said:I did read the article on this bottle, it mentions that there are only 3 or 4 known and quite rare? I have sent the the person who wrote this article a message asking more about the bottle. Brian C.Harry Pristis said:That was interesting! Thanks for the link, Don!
Sooo . . . carrarra water is something other than ginger ale (too bad the article didn't specify what). And the bottle may indeed date to the mid-1800s. The link between "carrarra water" and "carrera marble" remains tenuous.
I cannot recall ever seeing one of this type bottle before.