Old Water outfall

stupot

Jun 21, 2008
Lower tides this week enabled me to look at other places as the water went out lower than normal by quite way. Just walking & detecting along an exposed irregular shingle patch with odd finds coming up scattered around. Very strangely the detector suddenly opened up with a mass of non-ferrous targets over a few yards then nothing. I spent the next two hours digging constantly a multitude of targets. The audio responses on the Deus was equal to an MG42 - high rate of fire.. Way to many to even deal with so I decided to block out everything under 60 & just take out high conductors - never ever done this before.
The targets were just under the sand welded into a hard ferrous filled bed. Cutlery, Buttons, Coins including a dozen farthings, Lead toys, cufflinks, tie pins, curtain rings, brass tyre caps & valves, drawing pin heads , pins & safety pins too, brooches. Very strange... Pieces of brass chain from sink & bath plugs also brass plugs too. Many tops of lead ointment & toothpaste tubes appeared. One 9ct plus a silver ring with some brass ones as well. A silver pocket watch frame with corroded movement close by. So much stuff coming out in groups encapsulated in iron conglomerates. No scrap lead at all just old lead toys. So hard that targets were undiggable with a pointed spade.
Water pushed me off but back in the early hours AM. Couldn't work it out the types of stuff coming up. Next morning i headed back down & just above the patch hit a long quite wide signal over several feet. Where the signal stopped I dug down a foot & came across a cast iron pipe - here was the answer. Every sink, bath & road drain had emptied down on the shore from that pipe with all those items lost coming out with all the ferrous bit making a solid bed at the end of the pipe. Took a micro pick to dig with made things easy. There were so many metallic bits stuck in the iron to break out later. Had another good session with some silver coins & good shipping line buttons coming up. A French Lebel 1888 rifle cartridge is of interest to me, type used defending a Saharan Fort against the Rifs! A Brass octagonal Co-op token with an Edward & Alexandra coronation medal stuck to it came up. Pushed off again by the tide once again. Another month to wait to get back. It was really good fun, a rare occurrence too.
I will have to make a maximum effort to dig out this bed, I know there will be some good gold in there. The dates of coins ranged from 1858 to 1940's. Been back several times recently with very good results!

Attachments

• us1.jpg
    us1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 155
  • us2.JPG
    us2.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 149
  • us3.JPG
    us3.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 155
  • us4.JPG
    us4.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 21

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
This reminds me of something a good friend here in Tennessee recently discovered. He's a bottle digger. Dosn't even own a metal detector. But he was poking around in one of the larger cities near here and decided to take a walk up inside the storm drains. Requires wearing waders but he has pulled out piles of early 1900s and older bottles. Straight side Cokes, etc.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me of something a good friend here in Tennessee recently discovered. He's a bottle digger. Dosn't even own a metal detector. But he was poking around in one of the larger cities near here and decided to take a walk up inside the storm drains. Requires wearing waders but he has pulled out piles of early 1900s and older bottles. Straight side Cokes, etc.
Rule number 1 for plumbers applies here. Stuff runs downhill!:icon_thumleft:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Definitely something to think about. Quite a unique find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread