What's new

Old Western Photo

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
3,860
Reaction score
1,939
Golden Thread
3
Location
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac

Nokta marko simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend bought this old tin photo at a consignment auction and has done some research and couldn't find anything.
He thought he has seen the likeness on the history channel or someplace else that had showwed famous western personalities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1685.webp
    DSCN1685.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 309
Standing in the back, on your left, is (I think) Butch Cassidy. That picture has been used to show what an innocent looking Mormon boy he was before he ran afoul of the law.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like it might be an Ambrotype which is on glass instead of Tintype which is metal. If you peel back the gilded edge you should be able to tell if it is on glass or tin. Ambrotypes were only used during a certain period of time (early 1850's - early 1860's) so that would help to narrow down the date.

EDIT: I just saw the bubbling on the photo so I don't have a clue.
 
Upvote 0
When I first looked, it reminded me of- Capt. A.H. Bogardus & Sons :icon_scratch: They were Champion Shots of the World.
 

Attachments

  • d8952.webp
    d8952.webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
paratrooper said:
Standing in the back, on your left, is (I think) Butch Cassidy. That picture has been used to show what an innocent looking Mormon boy he was before he ran afoul of the law.
Thanks paratrooper.
I'll try to find a photo to compair it with.
 
Upvote 0
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Looks like it might be an Ambrotype which is on glass instead of Tintype which is metal. If you peel back the gilded edge you should be able to tell if it is on glass or tin. Ambrotypes were only used during a certain period of time (early 1850's - early 1860's) so that would help to narrow down the date.

EDIT: I just saw the bubbling on the photo so I don't have a clue.
It's tin From 1850's to 1920's. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
trixie charger said:
When I first looked, it reminded me of- Capt. A.H. Bogardus & Sons :icon_scratch: They were Champion Shots of the World.
Thanks trixie.
I can't tell from the photos but it could be.
I was told the person on the bottom left might be Native American.
roger
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom