Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my oldest coin to date and I'm stoked. On this hunt it was the only good find, an 1865 Indian Head Penny. This year was pretty pivtal in United States history:
-Iowa celebrates 19 years in the Union
-President Lincoln inaugurated for his 2nd term
-South surrenders, ending the US Civil War
-President Lincoln assassinated
-The 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution
1865 IHP.PNG

I've also started to re-hit some of the spots I've hunted out including an old farm house where I've found a civil war era military button, "young Victoria" fish scale, and other items. I'm trying to see how well my new Detech Ultimate coil is working on the E-trac and based on my couple of hunts with it, I'm going to have to hit all the old spots again. Last night I found a realy ornate plated pocket watch cover, pretty bridal rosette, and this nice art deco match safe, but I flippin' speared the match safe. Dagnamet!

The watch cover looks really ornate with gold and silver tones. Unfortunately it also had a several punch marks on it where someone hit it with what I assume was a bb-gun about three times. The back side has markets VJ 7199 and if anyone has any idea the maker or some way to find out when it was made, I'd really appreciate the help.

The bridal rosette was really neat and lead backed. It's got some silver gilding in the pattern.

The hearbreaker of the hunt was the match case. Missing it's top and a big Lesche punch mark through the end. Very art-deco. Image9.jpg Image10.jpg Image11.jpg Image12.jpg Image14.jpg

Upvote 11

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your new oldest coin! There isn't too much more exciting than to discover you just found a coin older than any previous find. It happened to me yesterday.
Really like the match case. The gouge with the digger could have been worse. Most of us have gouged neat targets at some point.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your oldest coin. I too am a person who contemplates the events of the time that the coin was struck that I find. You definitely have a true appreciation for history

sent from my computer by frantically poking at the keyboard with a single finger

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your finds. Love the watch cover. Might have been a few shotgun pellets. Might have been in his pocket at the time. Might have been a farmer's daughter situation. Might be I have too much imagination! Great hunt.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some sweet finds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread