Oldest Find - I'll never top this one!

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still hunting and slightly ahead of last year's pace which netted me over 100 ounces. I try to hunt bags as often as I can and last night's $1000 bag of dimes (which I'm only half way through) has given up 3 silver Roosies and a knock me outta the chair find. I knew it was old, but it's taken quite a bit of research this morning to find out how old.

I present you with two of the worst pictures you will ever see on this forum.

Ancient 2.jpg Ancient 1.jpg

That's a Constantius II 337-361 A.D. bronze coin. Of course it could be a counterfeit, but I don't know. There are so many variations of that coin it's hard to find a pic of this exact one.

Here's what a good one looks like.

Constantius.png

Opinions, comments? Let me hear what you think.

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never say never.

They don't happen often, but there have been at least a handful of ancient coins found by people on this forum. I found two myself a few years back when I was still actively CRH'ing (both in bags of dimes). I couldn't believe it either, but they sure are fun to find.

Congrats!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nice. I would bet it's a good coin. They are not expensive, so there would be no need to put a fake in change. I was dumping some half dollars once and got my wires crossed and almost threw a seated half in the hopper before I snagged it back. Never play with your good stuff at the same time you are getting ready to dump your junk coins.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And never say never. I dug a Byzantine coin from the 6th century about 1990 in SC. Last year it was 2 early Spanish Maravedis and 2 Romans in NJ, and lastly a nearly 500 year old Spanish Maravedis about 20 miles from where I live. Go figure.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never say never.

They don't happen often, but there have been at least a handful of ancient coins found by people on this forum. I found two myself a few years back when I was still actively CRH'ing (both in bags of dimes). I couldn't believe it either, but they sure are fun to find.

Congrats!

I was just shocked. I definitely think it's one of my best finds. I didn't realize they turned up at all so it's nice to hear others are finding them too.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! I'm surprised it made it into the dime bag instead of the reject tray.

That was my thought as well. Considering the machines will throw out perfectly good coins all the time. I'm glad it didn't get rejected because the tellers would have probably thrown it away.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And never say never. I dug a Byzantine coin from the 6th century about 1990 in SC. Last year it was 2 early Spanish Maravedis and 2 Romans in NJ, and lastly a nearly 500 year old Spanish Maravedis about 20 miles from where I live. Go figure.

That's amazing. And the fact that you almost threw away a Seated half...wow. I still haven't found one of those, so if you want to toss one in my local bank's coin machine....lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread