OMGOMGOMG !!!FINALLY some silver!

toni&kirk

Oct 2, 2013
South Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett Ace 150's
Two cheap pin-pointers.
Two long handle sand scoops.
Too much work and not enough time to dig.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 8 months of...well you know, driving by a newly razed shop and soon to be destroyed house, I got the "feelin". Drove two blocks onward and had to stop and turn around. Guys are on the roof tearing the house down. I asked if they were the owners....no...well can you reach the owner? Sure he says, whips out the cell, calls, I get permission in about 10 seconds. I'm like ooohhh this is gonna be good! I commence swinging. Clads, toys, around the sills, the front porch...nuttin. Go around the side following the foundation to a suspicious looking crawlspace. Two feet out from the hole in the foundation, bambam (which is also the name I gave my Ace 150). 4 inches down in soft sandy soil, large round, heavy, looks like aluminum. Token I thought. Rub slightly, letters half-dollar appear. Heart racing!! Turn it over, Ben Franklins face ,OMG....look for the year..1952. I'm in shock, can't believe it. After such a long time, finally. And I forget I have video on my phone... All I could do was take an out of focus picture. So here's the site and the coin and now I'm ready to go for more. Not easy but stay with it and it WILL come. Ye ha!!! View attachment 985315 View attachment 985316

Last edited:
Upvote 16

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent! I've always wanted to dig a Franklin half. I dug a part of one years ago that someone had mutilated, but I figure it only partially counts

OP
OP
toni&kirk

toni&kirk

Oct 2, 2013
South Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett Ace 150's
Two cheap pin-pointers.
Two long handle sand scoops.
Too much work and not enough time to dig.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ya'll.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go. I've been detecting for 35 years and have found way more Walkers than Franklins. They only made Franklins for 15 years and compared to more than 30 for Walkers. Nice find, especially for your first piece of silver.

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! I also found a 1952 Franklin earlier this year. It was my first half dollar of any type.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, not only the find but the location of the find is really cool !! 8-)
Someone in the 1950's had to climb under the house to fix something and lost his Franklin... :headbang:
Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet BIG silver !

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet half dollar. :headbang: There's nothing like the feeling you get when you see a big silver coin in the hole. :thumbsup:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Force was with you! Congrats! I have yet to find a coin bigger than a quarter. Silver or Clad!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only found five silver coins thus far. Four dimes and a Washington quarter. I would be extremely thrilled to find a half or silver dollar. Very nice find.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Great find Toni or Kirk? :) Thanks for sharing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread