On a roll now-two more old coppers from new locations!! 3 large in 2 days.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Today was a hectic day. Since it was supposed to be warm...and because my permit that allowed me to hunt the state owned land I have been researching had expired, I decided to ride my motorcycle to work. Vrooom. 8)
Now wouldn't you know it that I spent the first 3 hrs at work thinking about a way to get the permit extended. I called the state office where the permit was issued from and spoke to the secretary Louise. I explained that I had only a brief time spent detecting during the two weeks they allowed on the initial permit and asked for an extension, saying that the head guy (her boss) that had ok'd it said that perhaps it could be extended but again for only a two week window.
She explained that he was out for the morning and she had no idea where the paperwork would be.
Hmmmm...I had a blank permit from copying the original before I signed and faxed it back the initial time. But that permit was back home in my car along with all the maps of the area.
Exit stage left just before lunchtime and haul ass back home (record setting run) and returned to work in the Element with said paperwork filled out with a new request for a two week window starting today.
When I called Louise back and told her to never mind that I had the forms already filled out, she stated that her boss was now in and transferred me....uhh...ohhh. My bluff might have been called (because there was never any discussion of the permit being anything other than a one shot deal)
Her boss (who shall remain nameless) sounded busy and preoccupied and in less than ten seconds agreed to sign and fax back the new permit...even asking what we had found on the first trips out there!
Now...dial Bob up at his desk...talk him into a short after work hunt...DONE DEAL! ;D
We met at a new cellarhole...and walked into a briar infested hell hole where I managed one bent wheatie and many cuts and thorn piercings.
Plan B...straight back to where I found the Draped Bust LC and Vicki quarter.
Again...frustrated with tangling with the thorns (stupid me forgot to change into decent clothes...and I was hunting in thin dress pants and a t-shirt...NOT the thing for prickers) and only finding a couple wheaties...I told Bob I was walking to the spot where I had found the pocket watch on Sat (and no coins).
As darkness fell, I told Bob I was getting SOOO pissed at constantly being caught up in thorns (I SWEAR they were actually reaching out and grabbing me) that I walked away from the huge cellarhole and walked parallel with the road but into a more open wooded area where I could actually freely swing the coil more than 2" in any direction.
Right away I got a real nice threshold shift and switching to AC heard a few high tones(60s for you Whites folks) mixed in with some low VDI nulling. I dug a nice deep plug and it was still in the hole. Bob walked by and I commented on how it was probably a square nail as it wouldn't pinpoint right it seemed and didn't sound great.
Down deeper I dug (I use a post hole shovel) and finally at about 10-11" the target was out into the dirt pile. I knew right away what it was and called Bob over. My second large cent in as many days! No detail visble under the heavy dirt layer, I did the usual whooping and carefully stowed it away.
Now Bob became intrigued and you could tell he started to slow down and start to listen to the deeper softer stuff. Also, he only brought the small coil for his Minelab so maybe he didn't have the depth he needed because when I placed the large copper back in the bottom of the hole, he couldn't really make it out (but it still rang out sweet on the DFX-stock coil)
Now close to dark, I got an even better sounding hit (80s this time), again deep but right next to a pine tree. After careful digging and removal of a good sized root (along with help from Bob's Sunray probe) I popped out ANOTHER large cent!
Man...after several years and many many many fine coins...and wanting SO BAD to dig a large cent I have three in two days!
After some careful cleaning, one is a Braided Hair 1851 large cent with good detail and the other...well...I have no idea WHAT it is (haven't really researched it yet) but it appears to say "US Canada" underneath a large tree on one side and "Montreal" on the other with "UN SOU" in the center. I don't see a date but the details are sharp. It kinda makes sense as right nearby I found the 1872 Canadian quarter, so maybe one of the dwellers in one of those two homes was Canadian.
Anywho...here's a few pics!
You know where I will be this Saturday and Sunday!

Back at the car after the two hour hunt holding two old coppers!
DSCF1454.JPG
Obverse 1851 Braided Hair Cent
DSCF1462.JPG
Reverse 1851 Braided Hair Cent
DSCF1461.JPG
Obverse(??) Unknown Canadian coin/token
DSCF1463.JPG
Other side
DSCF1464.JPG
Two beautiful coins!
DSCF1459.JPG

HH all!

Upvote 0

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Not only is the monkey off my back, he's nowhere to be seen!(2 more old coppers)

the smile on your face and the coins in your hand says it all ;) excellent finds Danimal ! congrats

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: Not only is the monkey off my back, he's nowhere to be seen!(2 more old copp

Dan,
It wasn't too hard to twist my arm to go to this new spot. It's exciting when we are finding stuff from the early 1800's. ;D ;D

I might have been able to get that first LC with my small coil if I was still in the soil. I was picking it up even with the "air test" just not loud and clear like that Canadian Token. That thing sounded like a beer can! :D

The Montreal Token is circa 1835 to 1837. That is a very sweet find.

As for the monkey - we put the monkey on ourselves. Just have to take what comes and enjoy it.

Let's go find some bust silver!

Bob

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Re: Not only is the monkey off my back, he's nowhere to be seen!(2 more old coppers)

I think you are going to be Kirk's new hero... bet that canadian coin is a rare one and valuable. What an awesome site you have, congrats.

:)

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Not only is the monkey off my back, he's nowhere to be seen!(2 more old copp

Mirage said:
Dan,
It wasn't too hard to twist my arm to go to this new spot. It's exciting when we are finding stuff from the early 1800's. ;D ;D

I might have been able to get that first LC with my small coil if I was still in the soil. I was picking it up even with the "air test" just not loud and clear like that Canadian Token. That thing sounded like a beer can! :D

The Montreal Token is circa 1835 to 1837. That is a very sweet find.

As for the monkey - we put the monkey on ourselves. Just have to take what comes and enjoy it.

Let's go find some bust silver!

Bob

I hear you Bob. I know these limits are self imposed but still, it seems like the more you want something the harder it is to obtain....but once you are confident in the achievement end of things, everything else falls into place (assuming that you have confidence in your location, your equipment and your ability to use your equipment)

10/23...I changed the title of this thread bacause Bob was right-we create our own "monkeys on our backs"

Know what? Any other time you might have said "let's go find some Bust silver" I might have laughed. THESE spots actually could have them! And to top it off, I think we're the first to have hunted there...and there are MANY more locations available once hunting season's over!
Thanks for coming tonight with me. You're a true friend :)

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice large coppers Danimal. 10-11 inches...Wow. I sometimes find larger iron signals that deep but have yet to find a coin that deep. What type of program are you using?

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Boobydoo said:
I think you are going to be Kirk's new hero... bet that canadian coin is a rare one and valuable. What an awesome site you have, congrats.

:)

I just looked up the token's value BDoo, and I don't think it worth more than 10 bucks or so...but to me it's priceless.
And also, with the incredible coins coming from Doy's locations, I doubt the hero thing.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Evolution said:
Nice large coppers Danimal. 10-11 inches...Wow. I sometimes find larger iron signals that deep but have yet to find a coin that deep. What type of program are you using?
I am running a variation of a program written by TNet member JerDFX.
TARGET VOLUME 48-63 63
AUDIO THRESHOLD 0-42 10
TONE 0-255 173
AUDIO DISC. ON/OFF ON
SILENT SEARCH ON/OFF OFF
MIXED-MODE ON/OFF OFF
AC SENSITIVITY 1-85 83 to 84
DC SENSITIVITY 1-60 52
BACKLITE 0-6 0
VIEWING ANGLE 1-50 25
RATCHET PINPOINT ON/OFF OFF
S.A.T. SPED 0-10 10
TONE ID ON/OFF ON
V.C.O. ON/OFF ON
MODULATION ON/OFF OFF
AUTOTRAC ON/OFF ON
TRACK VIEW ON/OFF OFF
AUTOTRAC SPEED 1-20 8
AUTOTRAC OFFSET -10 +20 0
TRACK INHIBIT ON/OFF ON
COARSE G.E.B. 0-255 Auto
FINE G.E.B. 0-255 Auto
DISC. EDIT -95-+95 Accept -40 to +95
BLOCK EDIT -95-+95 Reject -95 to -41
LEARN ACCEPT ON/OFF OFF
LEARN REJECT ON/OFF OFF
RECOVERY SPEED 1-40 28
BOTTLECAP REJECT 1-20 1
HOT ROCK REJECT 0-20 10
SWEEP SPEED 1-20 7
GROUND FILTERING 2-6 4
VISUAL DISC. ON/OFF OFF
ICONS ON/OFF OFF
V.D.I.SENSITIVITY 0-99 85
DC PHASE ON/OFF OFF
GRAPH AVERAGING ON/OFF ON
GRAPH ACCUMULATE ON/OFF ON
FADE RATE 1-14 11
PREAMP GAIN 1-4 4
2 FREQUENCY (BEST DATA) ON/OFF-ON
2 FREQUENCY (CORRELATE) ON/OFF-OFF
VDI NORMALIZED ON/OFF ON
1 FREQUENCY (3kHz) ON/OFF OFF
1 FREQUENCY (15khz) ON/OFF OFF

I have everything pretty much cranked Evo...so it's kinda crazy unstable. But remember, I RARELY swing my coil in motion (AC discrim) mode. I hunt in DC pinpoint with the DC sens cranked and listen for faint threshold shifts. Only after I center on a target do I let of the trigger to go back to AC and let the machine try to ID the target. If I hunted in a normal fashion, the machine would be warbling like crazy at any damn thing.
When you hunt this way you can also easily tell the depth and size of a target before even TRYING to get an ID. Since you're in non-motion it works great for hunting tight spots and woods where you can swing well. If you need to center to get a better read in AC and something's in the way, I cut it down or trample it ;D

Also, that one coin could have been at 8-9" The hole was a measured 11" and the coin came out in the last scoop that was several inches deep. Mirage was there though to attest to the depth.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I may give this one a try next time out. Thanks Danimal. I hunt in AC primarily but I'm willing to try something new.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Evolution said:
I think I may give this one a try next time out. Thanks Danimal. I hunt in AC primarily but I'm willing to try something new.
The problem with the DFX is when trying to get good IDs at great depth is that it is so damn whacky when cranked up that it difficult to even tell WHEN you are actually centered on a target until you pinpoint (DC).
So I just started out that way. Only problem is it wears out the pinpoint trigger switch.
Evo you can also run in "mixed mode" where you listen to BOTH AC and DC together.
Tried it. Drove me (more) insane ;D

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

WOW ~ that's some nice finds!! CONGRAT'S!!!! WTG!!!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Great finds, but the question I have is...why aren't you posing with those babies in your eyes? ;D. Can't wait to see what else you find.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

halfdime said:
Great finds, but the question I have is...why aren't you posing with those babies in your eyes? ;D. Can't wait to see what else you find.
Man it's funny you said that. Not even a minute after I dug the second one I told Bob that I wanted that pic for my new avatar.
Then we both remembered Kindafoundabuckle and Doyboy's (KirkPA) avatars where they were mocking me and how much it pissed me off.
I actually LIKED that pic of me with the two Walkers in my eyes. It reminded me of how excited I was at that moment.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan, you are on a serious roll!

Big time congratulations for all your research, hardwork and determination!
Great job, it's well deserved.

Coin looks to be a Canadian token, Circa 1837.

HH,

JCH

Attachments

• Un Sou Token Montreal.jpg
    Un Sou Token Montreal.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 678

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

If you HAD to find two coin, They
certainly wil do.
Nice finds.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Great job; ride the wave!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Sweet finds, Congrats!!!
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star

Congrats on the copper again..
Yesterday was perfect weather for hunting..Glad you made the most of it..

Evo you can also run in "mixed mode" where you listen to BOTH AC and DC together.
Tried it. Drove me (more) insane

I started running Mixed Mode with the DD1400 coil. For the deeper silver.. If the AC even indicates a good hit
after a few sweeps, It's worth digging. Most of the time it indicates Iron. But watch the graph and look for that one good hit on the plus side.

Ok..Bob it's your turn!!

HH
ZoSo71

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon

Nice, I still have not found a LC. I hope you can get in a ton of hunting in your extended window. ;)

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that LC is more like it! I see you're still pulling the Canuckian coinage...good job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions