What's new

One and a half cannon balls?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One and a half cannon balls?

Here are two objects I would like to know more about. The whole one came from my Father-in-Law when he passed away. I don't know where he got it. The half one I found last week. They are both iron and measure almost 2.25" in diameter.
I think the whole one is a cannon ball but have no idea on the half one.
 

Attachments

  • cannon ball 1a.webp
    cannon ball 1a.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • cannon ball 2a.webp
    cannon ball 2a.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 996
  • cannon ball 3.webp
    cannon ball 3.webp
    68.8 KB · Views: 821
Re: One and a half cannon balls?

I wish I could give it half a green check because I still have a doubt about the half ball. It won't show in a picture but ther is a small "lump" in the middle of the ball that looks like it could have been an attaching point for something.
Could someone post a picture of the chain shot? How big was the chain and how was it attached to the half shot?
I will give this a little more time before giving it a green check.
 
Upvote 0
Re: One and a half cannon balls?

fyrffytr1 said:
Here are two objects I would like to know more about. The whole one came from my Father-in-Law when he passed away. I don't know where he got it. The half one I found last week. They are both iron and measure almost 2.25" in diameter.
I think the whole one is a cannon ball but have no idea on the half one.

To me they look like projectile cannon balls which range from 2lb-50lbs which its sole purpose was to bounce (flat spots) and roll at high speeds which would maim or kill enemy combatants (takes two soldiers to carry the wounded vs carrying the dead) rather than traditional methods.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom