Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One and a half hour hunt for brass bullets, circa 1940's

Went looking for brass at a woods spot of mine. I took pix of the hill that was used for a backstop for these armor piercing 50 cal rounds.

20150123_123653.jpg
20150123_123700.jpg
20150123_123709.jpg

I was here earlier this past fall and found some brass bullets that had been fired, one bullet weighs approximately one ounce.
Here is a couple pix of the bullets and casings I found.

20150123_131430.jpg
20150123_153405.jpg

There were only three bullets that are lead all the others are brass. I'm going back to prospect some more. I originally was there looking for coins, you cannot go three feet without getting a signal for one of these casings or bullets. I checked with the scrap yard, the fired bullets are worth 1.40 a pound, while the casings are only worth .55 a pound. Good exercise, the ground is not froze, and the scenery is very nice. I still think I might get lucky and find some silver yet in there. If not I'll make some brass money if I find the right spot, maybe?

Upvote 6

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
missing the water?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seems like a very nice area to hunt!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking about you today Brad. Chris texted me to say he was watching American Diggers. I was actually out walking the dogs in the cornfield I have been hunting and scouting the woods around it to see if I could see anything worthwhile there and along the creek running along one side when he texted. I wondered if you were still able to hunt.
Keep digging the brass...Chris and I both would love to be able to, lol!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
missing the water?
You better believe it! I have researched some great new spots to try, going to be a great summer.

Seems like a very nice area to hunt!
I love those deep woods spots, very serene.

Cool, are the shells old?
There are numbers on the casings, FA 37, FA 39, 44, 45
I wouldn't be surprised if they are not 1937, 1939, 1944, and 1945. I only looked at 4 of them. The spot was a WWII training area, well known by guys in my area. All the old timers that metal detected in my area all hit this area over the years. The casings ring like a clad dime, the bullets much lower. Most likely 1940's.

I was thinking about you today Brad. Chris texted me to say he was watching American Diggers. I was actually out walking the dogs in the cornfield I have been hunting and scouting the woods around it to see if I could see anything worthwhile there and along the creek running along one side when he texted. I wondered if you were still able to hunt.
Keep digging the brass...Chris and I both would love to be able to, lol!
You two should come down, another hour from that church we detected. Sunday looks good (weather wise), next week towards the end of the week looks good(weather wise)
Next summer I'll be swimming my way across New England. You got my number, I got those other spots too, never did make it to the cow pasture yet. Plenty of acres to hunt.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice and scenic, I'm sure it is relaxing and tranquil as well! Cash in the Brass for gas money not a bad deal! Congrats.

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FA is Frankford Arsenal.....then of course the date
Casing is brass, bullets should be copper jacketed/lead core for standard and copper jacketed/steel core if armor piercing

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I'm headed back there tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions