What's new

one box of dimes and a disturbing radio commercial

existentiallettuce

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
One box of dimes today yielded two pretty 64s. Not great, but fun hunt after a dry spell. Being a broke college student makes getting halves tough lol. Also I heard a radio commercial for a local coin shop. Without a mention of au, they offered to buy any and all ag. First specific silver buying commercialn I've heard around here. They offer to pay fair market value, funny because I called them weeks ago about 40%ers. Offered me $1.50 each

HH all,
EL
 
Upvote 0
Depends on how you define fair market value. A dealer needs to feed his family too.
 
A $1.50 for 40%'s??

Is that a typo?

Our dealer is paying $3.50 for very small quantities of 40%'s, and I thought that was low!
 
No typo there clovis. I understand a dealer needing room to make theirs, but I thought that was lowball all the way. I just thought it was amazing that the ad made no mention of gold at all. I'm not really complaining on his offer, because they certainly won't see any of my buisness. These are interesting times for precious metals for sure. If anyone within a 250 mile radius of atlanta has a suggestion on a dealer let me now. I don't want to go the way of feebay.
 
Price may depend on amount of competition and overhead. Friend of mine was buying gold for awhile, rented a small suite, limited advertising, but payed out more than anyone else in the area.
My local dealer is also offering $1.50 on 40's, but he has a good sized shop, and several employees.
 
Regardless of overheard.. that is not "fair market value". Fair market value according to whom? Him? I don't have a problem with dealers stating what they are willing to pay but don't put deceptive crap like "Fair market value" or "top prices paid". Yeah right. Remember, dealers are not on your side. Dealers are looking to lowball people if they can and will do so if they think you have no idea what market prices are. Most of the time, I find it to be an adversarial relationship. The fair or good dealers typically have high volumes of people visit their shop so there's a quicker turnaround so they can offer better prices. Your best bet is to always find another private customer through places like Feebay. I've sold coins on there just to gain the trust of future customers so we do private deals in the future. For dealers, there's always a Greysheet bid and ask price. You can make more than bid and the customer can pay less than ask if you do a private deal. A dealer is just a middle man who makes commission off of sales. That's all he is. Not much different than a used car salesman.
 
existentiallettuce said:
No typo there clovis. I understand a dealer needing room to make theirs, but I thought that was lowball all the way. I just thought it was amazing that the ad made no mention of gold at all. I'm not really complaining on his offer, because they certainly won't see any of my buisness. These are interesting times for precious metals for sure. If anyone within a 250 mile radius of atlanta has a suggestion on a dealer let me now. I don't want to go the way of feebay.

Another suggestion if you don't want Feebay, try putting up what your sell price is on Craigslist. You might be able to find a local collector who is not a dealer that is interested in your coins. I think if you put $4 per 40%er, you should be able to find a buyer easy in the Atlanta area. Good luck
 
You all that are selling are goimg to kick youself. I predict 60 per oz by march of this year . I can not hold enough . save it the bazillians the japs the china all the world wants silver it is going to sky rocket. And gold will be off the charts by march also just in time for metal detecting season .
 
Thanks for the suggestions sf. The only reason I'm looking to sell is to trade up. I have seen a few posts in regards to apmex, maybe that's my best option.
 
The best place to sell your 40%ers is at coin shows. Plenty of dealers at these shows and you will get the best price because they are competeing with all the other dealers. If you go to one coin shop, the owner will not give you what you can get at a coin show. Believe me!
rileyboy
 
clovis97 said:
A $1.50 for 40%'s??

Is that a typo?

Our dealer is paying $3.50 for very small quantities of 40%'s, and I thought that was low!

There is a "cash for gold" place with a case of coins buying 40%ers at $1.25 each around here.
 
Rakattack said:
Depends on how you define fair market value. A dealer needs to feed his family too.

thats true... but 1.50 is crazy low!
 
jerseyben said:
clovis97 said:
A $1.50 for 40%'s??

Is that a typo?

Our dealer is paying $3.50 for very small quantities of 40%'s, and I thought that was low!

There is a "cash for gold" place with a case of coins buying 40%ers at $1.25 each around here.

Yeah, ask them what they're selling them for. I agree that silver will go to $50/oz. I'm holding right now until $50/oz. People will turn to silver when they can't afford gold.
 
SFBayArea said:
I agree that silver will go to $50/oz. I'm holding right now until $50/oz. People will turn to silver when they can't afford gold.

IMO, I think the silver market is hot for just that reason...people are turning to silver because gold is so high.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom