What's new

ONE COIN CAN MAKE THE WHOLE HUNT

against the wind

Platinum Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2015
Messages
24,896
Reaction score
24,983
Golden Thread
0
Location
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I got back to the woods that I hunted last week. That hunt resulted in 7 wheats and a Mercury Dime. Not a single clad coin.
Yesterday I was getting nothing but Clad and getting a little concerned. I was using the E-Trac again. I was getting a little confused because a friend I was hunting with, was getting a fistful of wheats, along with a Mercury Dime and an Indian Head Penny.
Then suddenly, I got a nice deep signal that could be a silver quarter. I was thinking silver, because of the depth. I got down around 8 inches and out pops a dirt encrusted coin. I check it and figured out that the coin was actually a Large Cent.

When I got it home, I was barely able to make out the date. (1844) One coin can make the whole hunt.
I cleaned it with a toothpick but decided because of it's borderline toasted condition, this was a perfect coin to try an experimental approach.
I soaked it in Olive Oil and picked at it with a toothpick. Then a few lemon juice soaks and rinses. Finally, a little Naval Jelly, and a good rinse.
I coated it with a light application of a petroleum based product to stop all acidic reactions. It now seems to have a little better detail.

IMG_5579.webpIMG_5580.webp

IMG_5581.webpIMG_5582.webp

IMG_5588.webpIMG_5583.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 79
An what a fine coin it is! :occasion14: Looks like the place where Mr. Teddy was found, could be a very promising site! :icon_thumleft:
 
Very nice Largie brother, and a beautiful sunny day also - a winning combo!
 
Congrats on the great finds! Nice looking detecting spot...
 
Yep, that be a nice'n! Congrats
 
Way to go! She's a keeper, and your efforts did improve the coin. Congrats amigo.
 
glad you hung in there and kept at it. sometimes that persistence pays off. congrats!!!!!
 
Very nice, atw!! That's a coin worthy of a good story told by a good mder!! Congratulations!!
 
The cleaning came out good....congrats on the LC.
 
Sweet looking spot to hunt. Good job on the large
 
That's me all over. Every time I go out all I want is one decent find. That can be a lowly wheat to an ancient doubloon. But, if I find just decent item, my whole day is made. I'm not about trying to find "treasure" per se. Just one lil keeper, each time.

Good job on the cleaning. The one I got is in pretty sad shape but I might try experimenting too.
 
Way to go ATW! Excellent post and congratulations on the really nice large cent. 1844 is good evidence that it is a nice old site! HH
 
Great find, great story, great job restoring the old coin! What's better than that? H Digs
 
Very nice finds! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
 
That coin would be good enough to make my hunt. Nice job ATW.
 
Very well done ATW!

That one has a good bit of detail.
 
ATW, what a great looking spot! It's amazing how just one good find can make a hunt. Congrats on the large cent. You did a great job cleaning it up :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom