One great and not so good Indian Head

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent this past Saturday detecting around between two older schools and an old park. By 6:00 pm, I was over an hour away from home with nothing to show for it. Barely even some clad. Between the REALLY trashy areas I was hunting and the standing water, it was a tough day. If I had a quarter for every aluminum soda cap, it would have been an epic day.

We passed by an old church that had been detected for decades, I myself have been on it 6 times at least. I got out and starting detecting right next to the sidewalk, after I set the Audio response up to 7 on the Deus. I immediately got a signal that I was able to hear that jumped in the 80s and it was the 1907 Indian Head. I finally breathed a sigh of relief that I found something old for the day. The IH was completely standing on edge at the side of the hole, and I hit it with the Sampson. I was bummed, but because it was a common date, I wasn't too upset. It wasn't 6 more feet and a minute later, I got the second similar signal and at the bottom of the hole sat the 1891 Indian Head. I detected about 30 minutes more before I left and found a few zincs and pieces of lead. Nothing else worthwhile.

3 things I got from my day:

Because of my hard hearing I need to crank up the audio response on the Deus
There are still things to be found at this place that has been detected for a long time by more people than I can list on two hands.
I dug the best condition Indian Head cent so far for me.

P1010417.JPG

P1010415.JPG P1010420.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 6

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sweet, I'm glad you pulled out some finds. I like both of those sweet Indians.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one's.they both have good detail,that 1891 is a beauty,crisp detail,looks like it's in extra fine- condition.I hate it when I ding a coin but it happens.It usually happens to me when I get discouraged with trash and in a hurry.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread