DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out after work for a little bit today at a park in Oak Ridge. We had found lots of silver there back in the 70's. I have found several nice rings there too, but not today. I got a good dime/quarter signal that was bouncing from 6" to 8"+. I thought it must be a quarter sort of laying at an angle. When I got it pinpointed it said 6". I cut out a 6" deep plug and flipped it over and the signal was still in the hole. I found it about an inch deeper. It was corroded with something black but I could sort of tell it was a merc. When I got it home I ran cold water over it but nothing would come off. I still couldn't see a date. I took it down stairs and put it in the electrolysis for about a minute. I could see a lot of corrosion was coming off. I had to leave it in there for about 8 or 10 minutes to get it to looking a little better. I took it back upstairs and used my soft bristle tooth brush on it under running water and it turned out as you see it now. I know some people clean their silver differently but this is a method that will work if you be careful. Silver coins don't usually come out of the ground corroded either and don't usually require any special cleaning. Finding them in the lake is a different story though. They look real bad when they have been at the bottom of the lake for that long. They usually come out as black as coal. I also found some clad that's not pictured. Have a good one.

DANGLANGLEY

Attachments

• IMG_4083.JPG
    IMG_4083.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_4084.JPG
    IMG_4084.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 0

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Way to go, nice merc!!!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
SWEEEEET MERC!!! way to go on that silver, it cleaned up real nice.

clad_badger

May 7, 2007
Lithia Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 Prizm IV Mine Lab 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Dang

Nice merk there and I am glad that you rescued it from a lonely life in the ground. I also use electrolysis on my badly corroded coins and it works well esp on silver. One word of advice though on using a toothbrush. Don't get confused and use the same toothbrush on your teeth, not good. :D I also detected back in the late 70's and it was much easier to come by silver. It's more challenging today but I seem to get more enjoyment out of finding the silver.
Keep up the good work ;)

C.B.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
WTG! Just think.....you rescued that merc from a lonely grave of Eternity, and brought it back to the land of the Living. Great job!
--Mel

borninok

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Good job diggin that one buddy, LOL.

Super condition!!

Only one thing could make it better

Different date, MM.
I don't have a 16D either LOL.

OD