What's new

Only my 7th one after 367,579 halves searched!

Ifyndit

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2007
Messages
255
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Found this one tonight. It is only the 7th 1976 d reverse cud error (at 2 o'clock position) I have found in 15 months. It's a keeper!
 

Attachments

  • DSC01609.webp
    DSC01609.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 551
  • DSC01610.webp
    DSC01610.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 526
Upvote 0
Congrats :thumbsup:

-Codes
 
Good eyes. I probably would have missed that. :thumbsup:
 
A cud is a blob raised above the surface caused by a defective die.

http://coins.about.com/od/coinsglossary/g/cud_defined.htm

Yours looks like an indentation or ding. I could not find any info on a "reverse cud". Is that a cud on the reverse of the coin or the "reverse effect" of the normal cud? If the latter, how is it formed by the die? A blob on the die?
 
taropatch said:
A cud is a blob raised above the surface caused by a defective die.

http://coins.about.com/od/coinsglossary/g/cud_defined.htm

Yours looks like an indentation or ding. I could not find any info on a "reverse cud". Is that a cud on the reverse of the coin or the "reverse effect" of the normal cud? If the latter, how is it formed by the die? A blob on the die?

Check out this site: http://kennedyhalfdollar.com/errors/cuds/errors_1976-d-rev-cud-001.htm

Perhaps I worded it wrong.... I meant that it was on the reverse of the half not the obverse.

Here is a picture I took of one of my other cuds in better light.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00903.webp
    DSC00903.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC00903.webp
    DSC00903.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 525
Thanks ifyndit. I learned something new. What is something like that worth?

From sideview, this coin won't stack properly with the others right?
 
Those are definitely pretty neat. How many Silver halves out of 367,579? :coffee2:
 
taropatch said:
Thanks ifyndit. I learned something new. What is something like that worth?

From sideview, this coin won't stack properly with the others right?

I don't know how much it is worth. I took some to a coin show not long ago and none of the dealers had seen one before. They were throwing out potential dollar values of $20-$30 but they were just guessing. They did say that since it was a bicentennial half more people tend to collect those but the cud error itself was actually quite small. Collectors tend to collect cud errors that are large in size. From what I found there aren't too many collectors who specialize in Kennedy half dollars. I guess you just have to find the right person. Until I do find the right person I'll keep holding onto these, they only cost me 50 cents each!

Seagates said:
Those are definitely pretty neat. How many Silver halves out of 367,579? :coffee2:

My goal when I started CRH was to pay for my wife to go back to school (tuition and books) so she could get her AA degree by selling the silver coins I found. To answer your question (without really answering your question) I was able to do that.
 
I have been looking and still have not found number one yet! nice find
 
you got to be kidding me!!!!
 
Goes4ever said:
you got to be kidding me!!!!

This isn't an April Fools joke...I really did find my eight one tonight! It's weird, you can go for months and through thousands of coins and not find any then all of a sudden find a couple in just a few days. That's the fun of this hobby......each day/box/roll of coins could hold that "special" coin you have been searching for! You got to love it!

Attached is a picture of the octuplets all snuggled together. Aren't they cute?
 

Attachments

  • DSC01653.webp
    DSC01653.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 216

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom