What's new

Oops !

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2008
Messages
4,291
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
I was was rolling some halves to bring to the bank tomorrow and low and behold, I discovered a 1968 that must have slipped by me.
Normally I dump them loose. I wonder how many more fish got away.
 
Upvote 0
it definitely happens, i regularly find 40%s or dirty 90% coins in other dumps . I once almost dumped a walker because the rim was painted gold and it looked like a crappy clad. oops for sure.
 
thats why i edge search first then look at the dates....especially with the dimes ;D
 
In the last couple weeks I have had 4 halves fail the rim check. I always do rim then date. These 4 had a copper like appearance, and completly fooled me. I always check dates now.
 
I have too admit, when I'm like 3/4 of the way through a half box and haven't found any keepers - I sometime wanna start to just edge hunt. Sometimes I do just edge hunt the box if I'm in a hurry though, but for the most part I first check the edges then check the dates and have been surprised a few times by finding silver. :thumbsup:

With that being said though, I will always look at a date if I have the tiniest bit of doubt while edge hunting. :icon_scratch:

When I do dimes I just check the edges, sometimes even that gives me a headache, I couldn't imagine reading all of those tiny dates... :tard:
 
I check the rims first, look at any "suspicious" coins by date, then take the whole stack and let the coins fall into a stack into the other hand, letting each one "clink" against the other. Once or twice I have heard the sound of silver when doing this and found a 40%er I missed. But that was early on in my CRHing experience. I don't have the time to check each coin's date, one by one.

Jim
 
I usually edge search dimes and quarters and use the drop test as my backup should I miss anything.....similar with halves, but I usually date search those and try to check for errors as well so don't need the drop test.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom