What's new

Ordering boxes from banks

Iheartmoney

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
How do you order halves from the bank?
I know that most banks have boxes of pennies, nickels, and dimes on hand, but how do I go about getting halves, and what do I say? Any tricks,tips,suggestions would be appreciated.
 
Upvote 0
When I opened an account, I told the teller up front that I planned on ordering a couple of boxes of halves per week. Its worked well for me. The bank orders on Monday; I pick up on Thursday.

I have yet to go to a bank where I do not have an account and ask for boxes. I have asked for loose halves, thought. Got a few minor scores there.

Just be pleasant and courteous--like you would anyone that you meet.

PS: I have provided a box of donuts a time or two.

Good Luck!

apush :read2:
 
I agree with apush. "I'd like to order a box(es) of halves" seems to work very well for me.
You may find that banks you normally don't do business with may even volunteer to order for you. ffd
 
Its pretty simple. Just walk in and ask someone who you need to talk to about ordering half dollars. He/she will point you toward the person you need to talk to. As others have said, be polite and courteous. Let them know if you want to order weekly or just occasionally. Some banks will order for you, some will not. Every bank I have came across has a 2 box ($1000) minimum order, but that may be different in your area. Also, although I personally have not encountered this yet, some banks charge a fee for ordering and/or dumping. Be sure to check on this as well.
 
Actually I found breaking them in slowly works good to. Ask if you can order a box, If they agree to do it great. Thats the first step. Getting your foot in the door.
When you pick it up ask if you can order another for next week. This should automatically get you a couple of responces. (Usually they will say they have to order in 1k increments.) But here are some of the responces I have gotten in the past.

1. well we don't normally order for non retail coustemers I just did it as a courtesy.
2. Sure i'd be glad too
3. Your not planning on making his a habit are you?
4. I could order you 2 if you would like.
And the best answer you could hope for is
5. Would you like to be placed on a standing order?

If they don't ask you if you want to be placed on a standing order than ask them if you can.

Mojo P.S. If your in the Detroit area please find another hobby.... lol
 
I went to banks and said I'd like to start an account, but only if i can order halves from the bank.
 
As someone mentioned in a previous post when trying to order a box of halves the teller may say no not knowing that they can. I believe any bank that will order boxes of the other coins can order halves. Just ask the head teller to check the order list . This has happened to me at least twice. I spread out my ordering between multiple banks so as not to wear out my welcome.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom