Organizing some paleo

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Unpacking and organizing some miscellaneous paleo. All broken or damaged except for a few. The vast majority were purchases, but have solid history on most. I just enjoy looking at old paleo and all of these probably cost less combined than any of them would cost individually if whole in G-10 condition.

Midwestern fluted stuff- Clovis/Gainey lower left.
Unfluted non-Dalton lower Center.
Beaver lake/Quad/Cumberland Lower Right.
Plains paleo stuff upper right (Cody, Eden, Scotty, Allen, etc.)
Great Basin stuff upper center (Hasket, crescents, Windust.)

Hollands from Iowa & Illinois (I have more in a box somewhere.)

Wilson County Sandpit Texas (Golondrinas and maybe a Plainview.)

Attachments

• BBEF5BD7-875F-4240-A6B5-88AB38484A15.jpeg
    BBEF5BD7-875F-4240-A6B5-88AB38484A15.jpeg
    823.1 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
...that is nice assemblage of points. Any personal finds? Favorite piece? I like to see flattop in other peoples frames, It's my favorite lithic..

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
...that is nice assemblage of points. Any personal finds? Favorite piece? I like to see flattop in other peoples frames, Iits my favorite lithic..

Aside from a couple in the Great Basin cluster, these are just buys from local collections or from other collectors at auctions because I like studying paleo and I don't have enough time travel around the lower 48 finding my own paleo points. For studying flaking, materials, etc. a broken piece is better than a thousand pictures of a single point laying flat in a book or on the internet.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish I had the problem of organizing an assemblage of pieces like that. I can organize the one I have in nanoseconds! :laughing7:

Very impressive Joshua. Thanks for putting it out here for all to see.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice! Is that a Lovell constricted on the left side (up from the Bottom with the concave base) of the ''Plains Paleo'' section?

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a bunch of fine artifacts there. Of course I love big perfect items but well used paleo speak to my soul.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Very Nice! Is that a Lovell constricted on the left side (up from the Bottom with the concave base) of the ''Plains Paleo'' section?

Not really sure, I have heard of Lovell points but it's not a type I really know much about. Here is a better picture of that section.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5EF21AFC-A275-4DB2-BA91-713314C3932D.jpeg
    5EF21AFC-A275-4DB2-BA91-713314C3932D.jpeg
    779.8 KB · Views: 173

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wish I could use "organize some paleo" in a sentence and actually mean it, nice examples :thumbsup:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Very cool to look at. I organized my paleo collection last week. It took 0.5 seconds.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am correct the Lovell Constricted points have colateral flaking, and the right, or left side from the tip to half way down there are extra sharpened flaking. Wish had a way of showing this. The one that I have was found just north of the Big Horn Basin, from which they were named from, (Lovell, Wyoming). Thanks again for sharing those HeartBreakers! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions