What's new

Oriental coin in Texas...thanks to jrc79inNC

Roland58

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
1,193
Reaction score
56
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this about 5" down at the local soccer park. It is in very good condition, so, I figure it is not very old even though it was pretty deep. Anyone recognize it? Know the date?

1216coinB.jpg
1216coinA.jpg



Thanks!!
 
Re: Oriental coin in Texas...thanks to jrcinNC

Well, jrc79inNC told me the following in another post:
"On the 10 Yen Japanese coin the date on the front side on the third of 4 characters is the number 9. In Japanese and Chinese coinage, they go by the year of the current ruler's tenure. In this case this year 9 is the 9th year of Akihito (Heisei) being in rule and in our dating system is 1997. You have one out of roughly 490.9 million that were minted that year. "

tree-ape, your info does not coincide with the year mentioned by jrc, but, this coin does have a smooth edge and the link you provided shows the plain edge to be 1959+. I thank you both for your info confirming the Japanese origin.
 
Upvote 0
I found one of these at a ball park here in Kansas this summer. It also turned out not to very old, but it was sure cool to find.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom