What's new

Orlando Vacation summary

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
2,238
Golden Thread
0
Location
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
The wife and I hit the road Sunday June 5th for Orlando to spend a week with her sister. The detectors selected for the trip were the Quick Silver for the dry sand, the CZ20 for the wet sand and water and the F44 in case the QS had trouble with any of the sand or if I found any parks or houses to hunt.

We stayed Sunday night in Pensacola. I was able to hit the beach that evening with the QS, but only found a couple of coins. The tropical storm came through that night, so instead of detecting the next morning, we hit the road. It was a miserable trip to Orlando with the storm and what should have been an 8 hour drive turned into an 11 hour drive.

On Tuesday, we drove to Kellyco. I met Chris and Stevie Ray. Stevie Ray showed me around, let me test drive the Excal and shared stories with me. He was a pleasure. I eventually bought some treasure pouches, including a good one for the water suggested by Stevie Ray, a Tee Shirt and an RTG 3 foot scoop that my wife wanted. I already had an RTG hand scoop that she had been using, but she had to squat to use it. My Stealth is just too big to carry around on dry sand, so this new 3 foot RTG is perfect for her.

20160607 Kellyco.webp

Tuesday evening, I hit Red Bug Lake Park which is only a couple of blocks from where we were staying. It appeared to be a newer park, but I just wanted to get out for a little while. I took the F44 and was doing next to nothing in a little open field. Then a storm hit and everyone left, well, except me. I put on my rain jacket and headed to the tot lot where things picked up. I found a handful of change and a small charm.

Wednesday morning, we were at the public pier in Cocoa Beach at sunrise. I took the QS and hit the dry sand. I found a decent amount of change, a Canadian cent and a flattened penny from Universal Studios. I then pulled out the CZ20 and started doing the water line. I found a few dollars of change, but more importantly, I got back to back rings. That may never happen again, but it sure got the wife super interested. The first ring is marked, but I don't know what the mark is and I can't find a ##k mark on it. It sure looks like gold to me though. The second ring is obviously gold plated.

20160608 Gold Ring.webp

We spent 13 hours at Universal Studios on Thursday. :-\

Friday morning we were back at the public pier in Cocoa Beach. I only used the CZ20 as I wanted to stay in or around the water all morning. I found a handful of change again along with 2 pairs of sunglasses. We then headed over to Cherie Down Park, which is also on the beach, but only found a few coins and a big junk bracelet.

Saturday, we drove to Gulf Shores, Alabama, to stay the night. That night we hit the beach late with the QS. I found alot of change, a junk bracelet and a junk Ying Yang ring. I really like the ring and wish it were silver. The ring came from a volleyball court.

20160612 Ying Yang Ring.webp

Sunday morning we hit the beach at Gulf Shores one more time and stayed by the water's edge with the CZ20. We found a few coins but the rain rolled in and we decided to go get cleaned up and eat. Then we drove home.

It was a super fun trip. I got to detect more than I thought I was going to be able to. I got to go to Kellyco and meet some great folks. I suffered through 13 hours of Universal Studios, but had a good time with the nephews. Below is a pic of the total stuff, not including the US coins.

20160613 Vacation.webp

Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting!
 
Upvote 30
Sounds like a great vacation to me! Thanks for sharing!
 
Nice read!! I love the kellyco people they stand behind there products 1000 percent Great finds I would love a vacation about now. Thanks for the awesome post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
 
Sounds like a nice vacation and congrats on the finds
 
Sweet! Anytime you can get in some detecting time its a good time!
Large ring sure looks like it could be silver.
 
Detecting at the beach and found gold and silver, sounds like nice vacation time! :occasion14: Congrats on the rings and the sunlenses looks good too :thumbsup:
 
Sounds like a great vacation, with some very nice finds,
 
and the best part was you had a great deal of fun and found treasure too....
 
Wow CC, looks like you had a great time. :notworthy: Did you try the F44 in the dry sand?
 
Glad to see you were able to get out of Orlando before the fit hit the shan. I don't care if the rings are fake or only gold plated: still rings!
 
Sweet! Anytime you can get in some detecting time its a good time!
Large ring sure looks like it could be silver.
I was really hoping it was silver. But it has no marks and upon close inspection, it looks more like stainless steel to me. I'm still happy to have it tho!

Wow CC, looks like you had a great time. :notworthy: Did you try the F44 in the dry sand?
I didn't. I'm sure it would have worked brilliantly. But I didn't want to expose it to the saltwater air if the BH worked, which it did.

Glad to see you were able to get out of Orlando before the fit hit the shan. I don't care if the rings are fake or only gold plated: still rings!
Let me tell you. The 22 year old singer was murdered while we were there. The night we left was the massacre. And now I read an alligator got a 2 year old at Disney. I won't be going back to Orlando anytime soon!
May God be with all of these families!
 
A ring is a ring and its a beauty! Congrats!
 
A successful trip and vacation once clear of Universal (hey keep the peace and compromise..l.o.l..).
A real nice mix of goodies, a taste of salt ,and Kellyco must have been quite the candy store....
 
From a circa 1890s gold band sold on eBay...
 

Attachments

  • Opal ring.webp
    Opal ring.webp
    7 KB · Views: 73
Testing123 lit a fire under my butt to do some more research on that hallmark. Here is info from 2 different sites. My work computer won't let me pull up the website quoted below, so I'll have to read it at home later. It appears I have an old gold diamond ring. WooHoo!!!

Allsop Brothers, a company located in Newark, New Jersey that was in business from 1894-1937, used the trademark A with a star to represent their company. Allsop Brothers produced both gold and platinum rings. In 1937 the company merged to form Allsop & Bliss.

It is marked A (5 pointed star). This is the mark of Allsop Bros of Newark New Jersey 1887-1937. They were manufacturers of very fine jewelry and specifically rings. There items were retailed by higher end retail jewelers all over the United States. You can read more about them on the website oldnewark.com.

Allsopp Brothers.webp
 
Last edited:
Wow, great research on the marking!

Here's a link to the ring with the stamp on ebay. it's a completed listing: Vintage Antique Opal Pearl 14k Gold Victorian Cocktail Fashion Ring | eBay

I found a much more beat up version of that ebay ring metal detecting a little while before and by coincidence came across its much prettier sister on ebay. Oddly enough my ring didn't have that stamp, but it's the same ring.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom