Ornate Strange Silver Cuffs??

Aquitaine

Dec 8, 2021
British Columbia
Today my finds are these strange items. Both have a pin to hold them together, with tops and bottoms. They look like bracelet cuffs but I haven't a clue what they are or what they may have been used for. The metal appears to be silver, although I could be mistaken as I don't see anything on either. Would it be better if I cleaned them with silver polish or leave them alone if they are old? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• pic-1.jpg
    pic-1.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 70
  • pic-2.jpg
    pic-2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 52
  • pic-3.jpg
    pic-3.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 52
  • pic-4.jpg
    pic-4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 51
  • pic-5.jpg
    pic-5.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 48
  • pic-6.jpg
    pic-6.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 12

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat. Those were once bracelets, but have been converted into fancy storage boxes. Traditional Berber work from North Africa and also produced for sale as tourist souvenirs and for the 'collector' market, notably in Morocco. Mostly they aren't silver, but you might be lucky if they're early.

Berber.jpg

Last edited:

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are pretty cool!
A few drops of lemon juice on a piece of aluminum foil gently rubbed on the metal will tell you if they're silver, it would give off a rotten egg smell, and would also remove the tarnish without harm.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today my finds are these strange items. Both have a pin to hold them together, with tops and bottoms. They look like bracelet cuffs but I haven't a clue what they are or what they may have been used for. The metal appears to be silver, although I could be mistaken as I don't see anything on either. Would it be better if I cleaned them with silver polish or leave them alone if they are old? Thanks so much!
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Aquitaine

Aquitaine

Dec 8, 2021
British Columbia
Neat. Those were once bracelets, but have been converted into fancy storage boxes. Traditional Berber work from North Africa and also produced for sale as tourist souvenirs and for the 'collector' market, notably in Morocco. Mostly they aren't silver, but you might be lucky if they're early.

View attachment 2136084
That looks just like them! I wasn't sure about the stones, but possibly morrocan coral as I read in one description. Thanks so much, it's so strange what people
Those are pretty cool!
A few drops of lemon juice on a piece of aluminum foil gently rubbed on the metal will tell you if they're silver, it would give off a rotten egg smell, and would also remove the tarnish without harm.
I tried what you suggested oldmxrat with a bit of lemon juice and foil, although I wasn't able to detect a rotten egg odor, but the area became shiny and a lot of black came off easily. I think the bracelets could very well be silver.

rid of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread