OT: Ticks on a rattlesnake

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry TH I know this is OT but the brain trust here has to know something on this. I never heard, let a lone seen this

ratled

RS.jpeg

Upvote 0
Dang...I didn't " need" to see that.

I knew lizards could get them. What the hell with the cluster???

Still alive or they would drop off right?

Don't like ticks, don't like poisonous snakes. Other kinds of snakes are ok. As long as they stay away from me.

I know we all have had our turn as the rattlesnake!..... some in more than one way :tongue3:

ratled

Sounds like something you'd say. Like "that sounds more fun than..." or "you're as much help as..."

"Hold my beer..."

only a guess but... I'd say it must have had fresh blood on it's mouth

a bit of google

Do Timber Rattlesnakes eat ticks?

Previous studies have proved that a decline in mammals that feed on mice, such as foxes, can be linked to the recent increase in Lyme disease among humans. The University of Maryland study showed that timber rattlesnakes, though not mammals, provide the same tick removal service.

Tick paralysis is the only tick-borne disease that is not caused by an infectious organism. The illness is caused by a neurotoxin produced in the tick's salivary gland. After prolonged attachment, the engorged tick transmits the toxin to its host.

Last edited:
Even a rattlesnake doesn't deserve that.

Rather see them on a snake than my dogs! Especially a Rattle snake!

they are rather large tics also.
either that or the snake is a baby just out the egg

female ticks get pretty big.

Corn Nut size ticks are common.

Dang, I haven't had any Corn Nuts in forever. Can you still buy those?

You can even get them in ranch flavor.. Usually right next to the beer nuts.

Do all those tics make a giant blood splatter when you shoot the snake?

Amazing how big tics can get... I got a bale of straw at the feed store once for my dog house.. My dogs were LOADED with them, their belly's looked
like that snake head.. Amazing how a tiny little black thing, about the size of a sesame seed and so thin you can't grab it, can turn into something the
size and shape of a corn nut.

Well thats something one does not see everyday... in fact I have never seen a tick on a snake. Personally I'd put it out of its misery should I ever come across one like that.
The relation to corn nuts though.... gahh... I like corn nuts. :tongue3:

Yeh, that snake had it pretty bad but so do the deer that make their home it the dense brush. Every one that I've shot has been just infested with tics.....many hundreds or maybe thousands. The trick is to skin the deer ASAP while its still warm and the ticks seem less likely less to start crawling on me, soon as the job is complete the skin goes into a plastic bag then the freezer (which really kills them after a while). Rubbing "Bounce" fabric dryer sheets all over your clothing does a good job repelling the little *******s as they really seem to hate it.

I think I'm gonna be sick

That location is infested with ticks! Never seen cold-blooded creatures getting swarmed by ticks. Wow! Some are just engorged with blood, too.

Two years ago we had a warm winter, the ticks were at epidemic levels and I was wading and fishing a creek for flathead bait near a bike trail when I spied this cop ride by on his bike looking at me. He thought I didn't see him, but I knew he was up to something by his attentive gaze as he faked a drive-by.

Maybe 10 to 15 minutes pass and he finally comes out from the thick brush where he'd been crawling around on his belly (I could hear him too) doing his own spying on me...so I just stayed parked waist deep in the middle of the creek channel. This snot nosed 23 yr old noob finally slithers out and does a freakin license check on me! I never had a city cop check my fishing license - never happens.

So as this kid is harassing me a little, has some chip on his shoulder, and he's calling my info over his radio when I notice his vest is crawling with ticks....so I gleefully point it out and say, "I'd do a tick check when you get back to the station. You shouldn't crawl around in the bush trying to sneak on people without wearing deet. Those things will kill you!"

He looks down and started freaking out like he was covered in fire ants or something. I don't think he could get back to the trail fast enough. Plus he and I both knew he was going to collect more on the way back.... oh, how I loved ticks at that very moment!

Have a great day, Officer! :laughing9:

That's about the creepiest damn thing I have ever seen....bleh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back