Other Heavies to Look For

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious to know what other "heavies" everyone keeps an eye out for when prospecting. I know this is largely dependent on where you are prospecting, as that would effect what heavies you might see.

I know hematite and magnetite (black sands) and have heard there is some value in them - I've heard of people using temperature shock to fracture them and collect fine gold they contain, as well as a company in California that supposedly buys them by the 55 gal drum full.

I've found TON of garnets, though most have been tiny.

The only other odd heavy I have come across so far is what looks to me like a fragment from a lead bullet and a seed bead.

My concern is I wouldn't know platinum, silver or a telluride if it bit me in the :censored:

Upvote 0

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver you will have a hard time finding in a creek or river.
Platinum will sit right next to the gold (or the gold to it)
All of it will be heavy.
I wouldnt recognize a diamond if I saw one, I'm colorblind and the only thing I have going for me in this field is god blessed gravity <3 lol

My dirty little secret is I have kept all my cons. I have 5 gallon buckets full in my garage. Every spec of dirt I've ever dumped out of my sluice into a bucket I still have in my garage.
I've pulled out most of the lead/bullets/zippers/bb's/shotgun pellets but need to go through it a few times still as I've got a lot of -50's still banging around in there. There are a lot of garnets and who knows what else. I'm going to build a viewing table (dull white illuminated table top so I can spot the pretty rocks easier. Something to do in the cloudy days this winter I reckon.

Best of luck!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may find "liquid" mercury, but more then likely what you find will be coating your gold. Keep your mercury coated gold separate from the clean gold. The mercury in this vile came from the remnants of an old pillowblock sluice, if you look close you can see some gold in it.

Attachments

• IMG_20131129_182520.jpg
    IMG_20131129_182520.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 139

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The platinum group is almost always found with gold here in calif. Mariposa county also has been the exclusive rhodium producer here also. A few years back when rh hit $5k +++ I sold every grain of that ugly stuff. Looks like rusty crusty junk and not like gold ,silver or platinum at all-John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John, do you know if there is any in the Yuba or Feather. Is there a simple field test for it. I had something like that from the Yuba I couldn't tell what it was. I put it in the blue bowl wide open and it would not move.

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Some heavy gemstones that will end up in your sluice:

Corundum

Although both Ruby and Sapphire fall into this category, Rubies usually contain more trace minerals like Iron, Titanium & Chromium. Rutile is also found in Star Rubies & Sapphires.

Garnets

Zircon

Spinel

Smithsonite

Cassiterite

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Silver you will have a hard time finding in a creek or river.
Platinum will sit right next to the gold (or the gold to it)
All of it will be heavy.
I wouldnt recognize a diamond if I saw one, I'm colorblind and the only thing I have going for me in this field is god blessed gravity <3 lol

My dirty little secret is I have kept all my cons. I have 5 gallon buckets full in my garage. Every spec of dirt I've ever dumped out of my sluice into a bucket I still have in my garage.
I've pulled out most of the lead/bullets/zippers/bb's/shotgun pellets but need to go through it a few times still as I've got a lot of -50's still banging around in there. There are a lot of garnets and who knows what else. I'm going to build a viewing table (dull white illuminated table top so I can spot the pretty rocks easier. Something to do in the cloudy days this winter I reckon.

Best of luck!

a bucket of old cons?
melt down that black sand an make a gold pan out of it :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feather,Nelson and La Porte is the platinum king of calif with more recorded production than any other mining district. BUT--always one a them, there was sooooooo much not reported you must take that statement at face value. The main stem Merced was killer also as recorded between Bagby and Briceburg are AMAZING diggings. I got to hold a fist sized chunk that was cut and polished from the placers prior to Trinidad by the coast. It was found by a friends son about 10-11 years back,with a bounty hunter detector hahaha looking for junk.John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread