Our Hunt for an 1850s Gathering Place

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Well my young 10-year-old apprentice THer and I got out yesterday to look for an 1850s gathering place that I had researched.

It was about as difficult as I had expected, I guess. There was much less brush than I had anticipated, but there were many more mosquitos than I anticipated. And we had to hike WAY more than I had anticipated.

The site we were searching for actually has several parts. The first part of the site we were looking for we had to hike in about a mile or a mile and a half, something like that. We found some newer garbage and some rather old looking iron, but I am unconvinced that we found the actual site we were looking for. I do think there is a 100 year old dump somewhere in that area that we made it to, but at this juncture I don't think we hiked far enough to find the 150 year old site.

Here are some of the smaller items we found at the first site (more pics farther on):

070706s.jpg

The three pennies came from the access road we were hiking on. I also had a bunch of small junk that I had been collecting in my hip pocket, but I threw it away when I became tired of sitting on it and getting poked and prodded in new and mysterious ways. The pull tab is one of the 'rare' early 1960s varieties that I saw when someone posted a pull-tab website recently. The slug appears to be .22 caliber, and the shells are a .22 short rimfire, and two .25 caliber automatics. The nail I am pretending that I can tell it is a square nail, even though it is no longer square or round.

We hiked out of this site and began looking for another nearby site. This time we only had to hike in about 3/4 of a mile.

I have never seen mosquitoes in roaming gangs before. We would be just fine--not getting bitten--and then all of the sudden we would be the main course of the buffet line. Speaking of wildlife, we also saw a deer, a coyote, and a baby skunk. Some bald eagles were watching us closely the whole time at the second site.

We didn't find what we were looking for at the second site, but I think we accidentally found a mid-nineteenth century homesite or something. There was a U-shaped hole in the ground that looked very foundationish. Also there were wild parsnips in the area, and right behind this area were humongous oak trees, several of them at least 6-feet thick each. It was in this area that we found some interesting iron relics:

070706b.jpg

The square spike, long nail, small weird iron thingy, and zinc jar lid all came from the first site.

070706c.jpg

The huge metal thing is one side of an antique wood stove. We found more parts of the stove but only opted to haul out the one piece, since we were on foot. My initial research shows it was from a small box stove or bedroom heater, of the type in use from about 1840 to 1870.

070706d.jpg

The X-looking thingy we do not know what that is. My first guess was that it was from a sewing machine, but who knows? I will post more about that in the 'what is it' forum.

070706x2.jpg

I am still pulling cheat-grass from new and exciting places.

Upvote 0

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Hey mlw67,
I'm not sure but I think the Xthingy as you call it, may be the side of an old school desk.....kind of looks like it to me anyway. As in the picture....the feet are down, the curved part on the left would be where the wooden back was placed and the top was placed on the right side where it looks like a pivot point so the top could be raised and lowered, of course there would be another side which looks like it and they were attached together with wooden pieces.....neat finds anyway.....HH, gregd573

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intresting Finds mlw.

Sounds & Looks like yous had fun

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
gregd573 said:
Hey mlw67,
I'm not sure but I think the Xthingy as you call it, may be the side of an old school desk.....kind of looks like it to me anyway. As in the picture....the feet are down, the curved part on the left would be where the wooden back was placed and the top was placed on the right side where it looks like a pivot point so the top could be raised and lowered, of course there would be another side which looks like it and they were attached together with wooden pieces.....neat finds anyway.....HH, gregd573

Right you are, Gregd573!

Attachments

• Desk-1.jpg
    Desk-1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 362
  • Desk-2.jpg
    Desk-2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Desk-1.jpg
    Desk-1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 359
  • Desk-2.jpg
    Desk-2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 365
OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Ow wow, that desk is super similar. That is obviously what this is. Thanks you guys!

Jeez, I don't see how that site could be an old school. Obviously there are a lot of ways an old desk part could have gotten out there, I guess.

We really had quite an adventure. I was raised in rural areas, but I could tell it was a whole new world for this kid. I think he really learned a lot out there.

We will certainly be going back, only more prepared next time.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
looks like you are on to something there. there has to be some coins around somewhere. good luck in finding them! ;)

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks Hollowpoint!

I'd sure love to find some coins out there, but I'd settle for old bottles, too... heheh

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
All part of the adventure. Sounds like a good way to spend a day. :) It always seems so easy and simple planning it out - execution is the hard part. Might take some time but sounds like you are on your way.

Mirage

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You'll find what you're searching for, Matt, I just know it........unless......I find it first. ::)

You found some interesting relics. You must be in the right area. :)

Good luck...and don't forget your bug spray!

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Thanks everyone!!

It was an awesome way to spend a day. Even though I have always been mostly a coin hunter, I have to admit--that was even more fun than digging silver from a city park. I kind of *expect* to find old silver in the city, but I never expected to dig up a school desk *anywhere*?! And this rusty stuff is older than the silver I find in the city. Maybe this year I'll break my American coin date barrier? I've been stuck in 1869 for 23 years--its time to move backwards! (with bug spray, of course)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread