Folding Money and a Park Cop

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I went to a local park today. They had a big celebration of the 4th. I had a copy of an email from the parks and rec dept, stating that metal detecting was OK. I went to where the band was and was walking past a shelter, and found a $5.00 bill. Cool. Tuned the detector on, started scanning and heard "You can't do that here". It was a park employee. I showed him my email. He said detecting was OK, but I couldn't use that, pointing at my little digger. He was real nice about it. So, I left. I'll have to clear that up with the park office this week, find out what I can and can't do. Went to the school and dug 80 cents in change. So it wasn't a total loss.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Fiver DM

Bummer on the Digger.

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea nice find with the five. Its cool that you left cause he wasnt a jerk, otherwise it might a been a different story. ;D

A

Aguila

Dont you just love the "Mrs. Olsons" of the world? (From Little house on the Prairy).

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Nonsense! You can MD, but you can't retrieve? Gotta call a foul on this one- Sounds like our "dredge police" out here (DSL). The parks dept. here says you can't dig, either, but they say hand tools are OK....?????? Funny wording on the permit, eh? I use a screwdriver and my Lesche, leave no marks, its all good. see what yours has to say and go back for giggles.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
Nonsense! You can MD, but you can't retrieve? Gotta call a foul on this one- Sounds like our "dredge police" out here (DSL). The parks dept. here says you can't dig, either, but they say hand tools are OK....?????? Funny wording on the permit, eh? I use a screwdriver and my Lesche, leave no marks, its all good. see what yours has to say and go back for giggles.

Nah. No foul. They probably had problems with folks not filling in their holes. There are manyt places where you can detect for anything you can pick up, but not allowed to dig holes.

Mike

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in a park with similar rules, no digging, new finds only. The way I get around this is and still retrieved items at a little more dept than on the ground is to use only a probe and pair of forceps. See this post;

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,36384.msg250021.html#msg250021

Don,t dig when real dry and do not carry another digger. Good luck and go back and try again.

Ed Donovan

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Wow! I thought they were anal here! Forceps? Darn ingenious of you Ed! first time I 've heard that one. :)

P

PostFatal

and I was wondering what they had against rototillers. jking

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Virginia Beach and Chesapeake City Parks are the same way...we can metal detect surface only...can not dig!!! But the City of Virginia Beach Office said there is no law that says you can not detect and they have no objections to it. I told them what I was told by the City Park Office and they did not know, and said I had to follow their rules....sucks, if you ask me...why even bother!!!

knapper

Jun 25, 2006
atlanta ga
Detector(s) used
IDX CLASSIC , SURFMASTER PI
should have stayed anything lost would have been in the grass let the jerk have the digger in the fAce(kidding) let him hold it for safekeeping he would have felt like a big guy then going tommorow our fireworks display was rained out but the liberals were there on there blankets mike in atlanta ::)

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Can't use a real trowel at the parks I hunt in Boise, ID -- I use a screwdriver to pry away the grass until the hole is about 3 inches diameter -- then I take a 1" wide trowel and dig with it -- I place the dirt on a towel to be a clean as possible and then poor the dirt back in the hole after I am done. I can get down 10" - 12" and do very minimal damage. Only problems are pulling the coins out w/out scratching them :) and digging holes is slow going!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions