Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I visited the largest park in NYC yesterday. It was once a combination of 28 estates owned by some of NYC's wealthiest residents and the area served as their country escapes. The city began purchasing these estates in the 1880's. The final number of acres purchased exceeded 2,000. Most of the park facilities construction and landscaping took place in the 1930's.
The park includes a beach and huge parking lot. An interesting fact about the parking lot is that there were no pole lights allowed on the field. The reason was to allow for the lot to be used as an emergency landing strip for an airplane. Don't forget that this was in the late 1930's. The parking lot is capable of handling 8,000 cars. The Beach which was also manmade, is about a mile and a quarter long.

Yesterday's heat and humidity, coupled with the fact that there is no shade on the beach, drove me into the shaded areas and the woods.
The water is okay for hunting when the lifeguards come on duty. That starts today. I may get into the water before the holiday weekend is over.

My find of the day was a deep Buffalo Nickel. After a considerable amount of time scraping crud off the nickel with a wooden tooth pick, I changed my initial date evaluation from 1928 to 1926. I checked the area under the Five Cents on the reverse but couldn't find a mint mark. If it had been an "S" mintmark, it would have been a key date. I'm just happy to get a full date buffalo.

IMG_4230.JPG IMG_4231.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4238.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG IMG_4235.JPG

Upvote 19

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of these day's I wouldn't be surprised to see them erect a statue that looks like you, which detector would you like to swing for posterity? Congrats on the Buffalo and another good day enjoying your passion.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs ATW. Congrats and HH

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, she's getting hot out there again. Looks like you had a enjoyable days hunt there. I can never seem to pull a old nickel with a decent date. nice one. I like the lock too.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sounds like you really worked hard for the '26 Buffalo find AGT! :notworthy:

I can imagine how challenging it must be for you to find productive sites in NYC. :icon_scratch:
I feel very fortunate to have farmland literally 5mins from my driveway.

Best of luck to you my friend,
Dave

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Looks like there's hunting for many seasons to come there. How does NYC handle detecting? Permit?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread